Boiler/pump problem

We have a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50, if that means anything to you.

This morning I woke to note that I could not hear the pump running. I can usually hear it through the wall, as the pump is quite close. I went to see what was wrong and I heard the boiler fire up, only for it to cut out a few seconds later. I assumed that the pump failure was the cause of this. No over heat light was on when I took off the panel though.

After getting something to eat I tooled up to see if the pump was getting the required wiggly Amps. What I intended to do was get to the connection block to measure the volts there and fix a wiring problem.

Note, the pump has been wired incorrectly from first installation a short time ago. (2 years ago) The pump is supposed to stop running 15 minutes after the gas shuts down, but it runs all the time that the boiler is allowed to run by the separate timer that controls it. When I rang the installer up, he told me a tale that a pump that always runs was much better than one that stopped and started. I was not happy with that, but he might have known more than me. I am more worried about the heat loss from circulating cold water, in winter, through my hot water tank from this though.

Back to my checks.

I took off the lower removable panel and took out the screw that holds what I assumed was a removable panel to get to the wire termination's. While pulling this, I noticed the label said switch off the mains before removing. Thinking that the force I was using may have been down to pulling contacts from the main body, I switched off, tried pulling again and gave up. On putting the cover back as it was, I switched on the boiler and it behaved just as it should and is still working now.

Any comments as to what might have been wrong?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It doesn't circulate the water from the hot water tank - this is stored hot water and independent from the CH water.

Sounds like it may have been a loose connection?

Reply to
Alan

Sounds like you might have had a loose connection.

The boiler is meant to control the pump on this model.

I would have been tempted to measure the volts at the pump.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yes, I know that. My comment was about the pumped water constantly running. If there is no demand from the system to fire up the boiler, eventually it will be pulling heat from the storage tank and dissipating it from the loop piping. i.e. pipe to storage tank goes cold, pump is still running, thus drawing some heat from the coil inside the tank.

I am not explaining myself to well here, am I?

The boiler has two sets of loop pipes. One does the heating at the request of both a thermostat and a flow control valve. The hot water is heated by another loop that runs through a coil in the hot water storage tank and has no valve. If this loop pipe goes cold, then surely there must be some sucking of heat from the hot water tank.

That is what I suspected, but I wasn't sure of how to get to the wiring. I'll take another look when I have more time.

Thanks for your reply

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That would have been a better way to look at the problem. If the boiler end did have a faulty connection, I would not have disturbed it. Thanks Ed

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I forgot to ask. Just how does the cover come off the connections on the boiler?

Dave

Reply to
Dave