Riello oil pump

More pump woes:

Yesterday evening my oil fired boiler decided to stop. (It must have known it was cold outside.)

There was clearly power going to the boiler but the motor would not start.

So I removed the Riello burner, as I did this I noticed the pump was very hot, to the extent that I had to wear gloves. The pump normally runs cold.

Maybe it has seized I thought, but after I had removed enough components to be able to move the fan, I found that the motor/pump/fan all rotated quite easily, but it would not start when the boiler was switched on. I cleaned the photocell but it made no difference.

The control box has three wires going to the motor and my meter showed there were circuits. So after consulting the manual I thought I should consider the photocell again. I disconnected it, and the motor still would not run, so I reconnected it and this time the boiler started working. It now has a new whine so I have ordered a replacement pump, about £25 cheaper from an Ebay supplier than other websites. I hope it arrives before the old one gives up completely. The pump now runs cold.

What puzzles me is what actually went wrong. Maybe there was some wax in the oil. Any suggestions?

There are pump repair kits on ebay (for my type of pump). I did wonder if these are any good?

Reply to
Michael Chare

maybe capacitor gone ...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apply electricity and give the motor a twirl and see if it runs. May be a loose connecton.

Reply to
harryagain