Cordless tools

Can anyone beat the deal, below. MUST be cordless, ta!

(Argos link - if it fails, see cat# 710/6567)

I've had a good look round with no success

TIA!

Reply to
Fr Jack

Yes, Makro had them in last week for much less, but it didn't matter, they are absolute crap!

Reply to
EricP

How/why are they crap? Is it a brand thing, or the concept in general.

If it's just a brand thing, how about a recommendation?

Reply to
Fr Jack

Yes, pretty much brand and price. It's just not possible to deliver good quality (or even reasonable quality) cordless tools at that kind of pricing - nowhere near in fact.

Good batteries aren't cheap. Good low-volt DC motors aren't cheap.

There's nothing that would be better than a hand saw at under £100 per tool.

Reply to
Grunff

What ! Spend over £40 on a tool that you only use to _cut_wood_ with! Can you even get hand tools for such incredible high prices? I'd much rather have the Argos crap-o-matic, sure it only works until boxing day, the cut quality is junk and the blades are 20mm centre hole so you can't replace them, but look how cheap it was - just £49 quid.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't think a semi-decent mains circular saw will cost this much - and if used carefully needs rather less skill to get a square cut than a handsaw.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh I agree - I was referring specifically to cordless jigsaws and circular saws, which is what the OP asked about initially.

Reply to
Grunff

And that's for the pair! A cordless jigsaw *and* circular saw!!

Reply to
Grunff

Don't waste your money, cheep tools are fine within reason, and an intelligent user can compensate for most deficiencies. but anything cordless at that price is only a toy not worth owning. The only tools I will spend *real* money on are cordless drills and screwdrivers.

Reply to
Mark

"Grunff" wrote | Andy Dingley wrote: | > but look how cheap it was - just £49 quid. | And that's for the pair! A cordless jigsaw *and* circular saw!!

Did you not get the FREE!!! torch, car vacuum cleaning and chiropody attachments with 1000 accessories with yours then, in an attractive blow moulded case with £50 of vouchers redeemable at ShiteWorld.

You was ripped awff.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I got a DP Tools 18V circular saw and drill combo on offer at £40 from Focus and they've been great. The saw slices up 18mm MDF, holds its charge well, light and easy to use - same as the "Robust" brand that Screwfix used to sell at £100.

So I bought the DP Tools cordless jigsaw/drill combo fully expecting to take it back because I thought the jigsaw would be useless --- but it's actually very good, better than some corded ones I've used. Focus used to sell the same tools separately as their own brand, Champion, but at higher prices --- but i think they might have switched to something different now.

I bought two Argos/Challenge corded jigsaws (different models) as an emergency purchase and both were utter crap. The higher powered one burned out almost immediately and the other just wouldn't hold blades straight.

So there are some decent cheap cordless tools out there but I suspect Challenge aren't amongst them.

HTH.

Reply to
mike