Any thoughts on the value of this cordless jigsaw

Just 11 fabulous 5 star reviews.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)r_dp_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=five_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar
Don't know why so many of the big name versions are being sold without battery or charger.
--

Mike

On 11/09/2019 14:43, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Personally I wouldn't touch it. Now, I only buy stuff where I can share batteries and am confident they will stay available for some time. I run on Makita 14.4 and 18V Nicads and you can still get clone replacements, in fact you can now get NiMH too which charge from the same charger. Just bought my first Lidl 20 volt tool plus battery and charger.
Naked with batteries and chargers separate is a sales strategy to suit buyers like me.
On 11/09/2019 14:55, newshound wrote:

And as an aside, I *really* don't like the look of the reviews on that product. I would be quite suspicious that they were fake.
On 11/09/2019 14:57, newshound wrote:

I am sure they are fake. Could be wrong of course...
Bill
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:55:32 +0100, newshound

If I were to buy a Makita cordless jigsaw sans battery and charger, what would be my options for the battery and charger? Do you mean that Lidl chargers and batteries would fit the bill?
--

Mike

On 11/09/2019 15:26, Mike Halmarack wrote:

You would need to buy some...
In many cases when starting with cordless tools you would probably buy the first couple as complete kits with batteries and chargers. Then you could add new tools as required as "bare" tools, and use the existing batteries and chargers you have.

No, they will only work for Lidl tools...
So pick a brand that has all the tools you might ever need, and start there.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 11/09/2019 20:37, John Rumm wrote:

Correct. My Makitas are now quite old but since they seem to be indestructible it makes more sense just to replace batteries until they finally die. These days I am a light user (but something of a collector of toys). I've mostly been happy with my non-cordless Lidl tools and they are producing an increasing number of cordless tools. Note that they have two different battery options. So when they had a relatively cheap cordless angle grinder (something on my wish list for a while) I bought one, plus charger and a couple of batteries. I passed on a chainsaw on a stick the other day, but might get a cordless jigsaw next time they have one.
On 11/09/2019 20:52, newshound wrote:

Unfortunately Makita have replaced the battery technology (different physical connection and battery protection circuits) since I purchased my Makita cordless drill some years ago. Original replacement batteries or cloned compatibles seem to be very much more expensive than the latest batteries for their newer cordless tools. However as I already have two of the older style of batteries, with charger, I recently purchased a new cordless Makita impact driver (bare) for not much money. The driver was "old stock" being sold at a discount.
I recently borrowed the current models of a Makita cordless SDS drill and angle grinder with 4Ahr batteries. I was impressed with the performance of both and they compared favourably with my older corded models.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 11/09/2019 21:23, alan_m wrote:

Do you mean the NiCads?
Original replacement batteries

Ebay item 202625450878, two 14.4 3AH NiMH for £24
Ebay item 123820818811, two 18V 3AH NiMH for £28
On 12/09/2019 15:41, newshound wrote:

No
Old type https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-BL1815G-18v-G-Series-1-3ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-HP457D-DF457D/311594561072?epid 031189463&hash=item488c7bae30:g:B20AAOSwt9FdWv7j
new type (with yellow connector) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Makita-BL1850B-18V-5-0Ah-Rechargeable-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Battery-LED-Indicator/352748487431?epid 32166622&hash=item522172c307:g:HA0AAOSwktFdTSo5
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 12/09/2019 20:13, alan_m wrote:

That's a G series battery - they are not the old type Makita battery, but an alternative lower priced DIY spec Li-Ion battery platform with limited capacity and power output.
These were introduced quite recently, and are actually *newer* than the LXT ones.

Yup. Note there are "old" and "new" types of these as well. The older ones with a capacity of up to 3Ah (black connector / no star), should fit all LXT tools.
However the newer higher capacity (>= 4Ah) ones (yellow connector and/or star) will not fit the older tools. (you can hack them to do so, but the old tools will not necessarily have the current handling capacity required to cope with the new batteries).
--
Cheers,

John.
On 11/09/2019 21:23, alan_m wrote:

You can also get adaptors to make modern LiIon batteries connect to the older style NiCd/NiMh tools. E.g:
https://ebay.us/5t1XBI

I originally got a decent Makita 18V combi in about 2003, and added an ID shortly after. I got the combi with three batts. They lasted many years, until I replaced them with another three OEM batts (I did try one "compatible" one - and although the performance at first was ok, the overall total cycle life was very poor). When the second set of batts started to die a couple of years back, I decided it was time to upgrade tools to the Li versions - not so much because of the batteries, but mostly because the range of choice in the old style was dwindling. I also decided to get shot of other brands of cordless and concentrate on Makita 18V for most, and 10.8V for small tools.
The modern 18V batts and chargers also have the big advantage of active cooling - i.e. the charger has a fan that pushes cooling air through the battery. So now you can charge a hot battery without risk (in fact they suggest putting a hot battery on the charger asap is a good thing to do since it will cool it quickly before it starts actually charging).
Getting one of the above adaptors, means the old tools are still useful. Performance of the old tools on the new batts seems as good as on their orginal ones.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 12/09/2019 17:05, John Rumm wrote:

The is not an adapter for the old and new type of Lithium Ion batteries
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 12/09/2019 20:17, alan_m wrote:

True, which is why I said "connect to the older style NiCd/NiMh tools."
If you want to fit a new LXT battery to an old BL type then you need :
https://ebay.us/zsBRsj
instead.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 12/09/2019 23:11, John Rumm wrote:

No, that is just an adapter to allow a Mikita battery to be used to charge a phone etc. 14V or 18V battery in and 2 x 5V USB power sources out.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 13/09/2019 11:12, alan_m wrote:

Yup, sorry my bad - completely the wrong item!
Looking at your other post I realise you were referring to the new G series batteries anyway, rather than the old Ni style or non star LXT ones.
So an adaptor does not really make sense, since you can easily get new G series batteries. Even if you did graft 5 Ah LXT battery on to a G series tool, there is a reasonable chance you would smoke the tool if you tried putting too much load on it. Ebaying the G series tool and replacing with a LXT version would make more sense if you want to keep to only one battery platform.
--
Cheers,

John.
newshound expressed precisely :

Those come without a battery and charger too. I think the reasoning is, some will already have those for other units in their range, so sell those items separately, then you can buy if needed.
Jim K... submitted this idea :

Batteries were always excepted anyway..
On 11/09/2019 19:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The battery in my HP laptop was out of warranty but they replaced it, no questions asked. This was two weeks ago.
I gave them 10 out of 10.
I suppose I could have scared them when I told them it was swelling up but still passed diagnostics. They didn't even question why I. Had dismantled the laptop.
Funny that they collected it and when it came back they had also replaced the screen, keyboard and top because of hinge issues which I hadn't noticed.
dennis@home submitted this idea :

A few years ago now, but I had a problem where I needed just a replacement for a damaged connector on an HP laptop motherboard. HP flew a near complete faulty laptop from the US, free of cost, for me to cannibalise for parts.