German colloquialism

This from a review site

' Ich saß wie nee kuh wenn es donnert,'

Literal translation is

' I sat like no cow when it thunders.' Can anyone offer an equivalent English aphorism

Reply to
fred

Another version:

I sat there like the proverbial cow when it thunders and at first I didn't know what to say.

Ich saß da, wie die sprichwörtliche Kuh, wenn's donnert, und wusste erst einmal kurz nichts zu sagen.

Which seems to suggest "thunderstruck" a reasonable translation.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, fred snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

No:-)

Dairy cattle are supposed to be at risk from nearby lightning strikes as the potential difference between their legs as the energy dissipates through the soil may cause injury.

The trick would be to stand on one leg or maybe lie down:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

at a /wild/ guess "caught like a deer in the headlights"

PS I wondered if "nee" might be a typo for "ne"

Reply to
Robin

Google translate does offer that as an alternative, translated as 'I sat like a cow when it thunders'.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

... which it is, a colloquial contraction of "eine", making it:

"I sat like a cow when it thunders."

also in the variant "(a) look like a cow when it thunders", and variants with lightning, also "like a cow before a new gate".

I.e.: to look very surprised. "To be caught like a deer in the headlights" is pretty good, thunderstruck also.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I believe all larger four-legged animals are at danger from that. I guess cattle are likely the largest four legged animals in much of Germany (excepting zoos and exotics).

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Another one is "Sitzpinkler"

"Gift" is interesting too.

Great language for insults!

Reply to
harry

I think we would need to know the context to figure out the meaning. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I think we are all vulnerable that way. I noticed when I almost got struck about a second before I was bowled over by the blast that my dog flopped to the ground sideways, one assumes as a reflex to the high charge. Luckily it hit a nearby pylon and not us. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Amazon review

Ich saß wie nee kuh wenn es donnert, dann habe ich mich an ein Video im Netz erinnert, die junge Frau erklärt es sehr anschaulich und siehe da es funktioniert. Schade finde ich, dass es nicht mal ne abdeckhaube gibt.

Reply to
fred

Nope. *if* not when.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That's called a 'false friend' and as such, has to be an outstanding example of same!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

FWIW, there is a review on amazon.de: "Ich sa? wie nee kuh wenn es donnert, dann habe ich mich an ein Video im Netz erinnert, die junge Frau erkl?rt es sehr anschaulich und siehe da es funktioniert. Schade finde ich, dass es nicht mal ne abdeckhaube gibt."

Which google translates: "I sat like no cow when it thunders, then I remembered a video on the net, the young woman explains it very clearly and lo and behold, it works. I think it's a shame that there isn't even a hood."

.. which seems consistent "dumbfounded" or "baffled" hypothesis upthread. Mind you, that might very likely been the very review you were referring to :-)

#Paul

Reply to
news19k