What to stick on his windscreen which wont come off easily? [OT]

[...]

I don't see my mum's attitude changing on my 50th somehow...

:)

Alistair J Murray
[...]

I think either

"I had to pop out to Tesco earlier today."

or

"I had to pop out to Tesco's earlier today."

is acceptable; the first because one is going to the local manifestation of the entity "Tesco plc" the second because the possessed "shop" is implied.

As there is only one Tesco plc

"I had to pop out to Tescos earlier today."

seems wrong.

HTH :)

Alistair J Murray

Another inaccurate generalisation, which devalues your argument.

This mother's children were babies only until the next one came. The last one is still called 'Baby' in fun but in fact his name was used from when his siblings started using it, when he was a year old. I suspect they expected that another would be along shortly so he wasn't a baby any more.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And do you still say, "Mummy, what's that horse doing with that other horse?"

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not me gov, I suspect it's still on your keybord somewhere.

Well, the others aren't much use without are they?

Hey! I've just found your 'n', it's inverted in 'bounus'!

I couldn't possibly comment :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yep, I agree with that.

Sorry lost me. Who or what is "possessing" Tesco, implied or not?

The apostrophe also implies something is missing doesn't it? In this case a missing " his". The use of which is clumsy at best to very clumsy hence the normal shortening.

"Fred's coat is red." -> "Fred, his coat is red."

"I had to pop out to Tesco, his earlier today."

Definately doesn't work!

Come on where are all the expert English pedants out there when you want one?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

No, but when I took her out for a drive in her car (she finds getting into other people's cars tricky as they don't have extra grab-handles), I drew the line at being told that she'd rather reverse her car down her drive than let me do it "Because it's very difficult".

I suggested that perhaps she should let me move my BSM car out of the way first.

Reply to
Guy King

You mean you thought she wasn't up to it?

How patronising :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No you wouldn't all you have to do is apply to your local council, who would send you a very simple form which takes two mins to fill in and send back, then if you do in fact qualify you get a nice legal blue badge.

Tash

Dam, I'm goig to have aother look for it.

Great, thanks Mary you are an angel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm here. And mostly I'm with you. But not definitely :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

No, it was 'cos I was already in the driving seat and it would take getting on for minutes to swap.

Reply to
Guy King

Only if you want to confirm your stupidity by showing that you're completley incapable of understanding the accompanying picture of a wheelchair..the internationally recognised symbol for disabled.

Reply to
Conor

What a dumb f*ck. The accompanying picture of a wheelchair not a big enough clue?

Reply to
Conor

You'd see me get out of my car like that. However if you ask, I'll quite happily show you the 8 inch scar that runs along my spine and the results of my last MRI scan.

Reply to
Conor

Oh dear. Lead a comfy life haven't you?

All you need is your bare hands and a bit of knowledge. With that you can build a shelter and learn how to make traps/snares with nothing more than a sharp stone and what a wooded area provides.

Reply to
Conor

Does it take post to four newsgroups for you insane lot to carry on your discussion. None of this is helping me with diy, getting bargains, maintaining my car or misc car related.

Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Steve Doney

My 3 year old was like that. Solved the problem very easily by putting the same meal as we had out for him and not giving him the option of nuggets or crisps. They soon get hungry and the penny drops.

Reply to
Conor

Its basically a lease. If you damage it, you pay for the cost of the repairs. Insurance convered a fair deal of it but there was the excess to pay.

Reply to
Conor

The sad part is that they usually have something worthwhile to say but make it so hard to read that people just give up.

Reply to
Conor