What's the latest with Part P, and what are the options?

I am planning to replace the existing fuse boxes with a modern consumer unit in a slightly different location to where the fuse boxes are now, removing a sub-main, and extending many of the existing radial circuits. I am a graduate electrical and electronic engineer with the experience, knowledge and skills to do the work, but not the pieces of paper. My questions are: how is Part P enforced? we have no intention of moving for 10+ years so what's the problem with just doing the work myself? Typically, how do the costs of DIY+notification compare with getting someone with the bits of paper to do the whole job?

Reply to
maildump

That /is/ one of the jobs still covered by Part P

Unless you tell them Pike, they're unlikely to know about it. You might be asked about it if/when you sell, but a shrug isn't likely to put off a buyer.

Reply to
Andy Burns

IME its not as such.

It tends to get swept up into other things on a building notices or full plans submission on larger jobs. Its pretty rare to have anyone do a BN just for part P in isolation.

Beyond that it just becomes an exercise in paperwork when a house changes ownership. The answer "lost / don't have" with regards to part P paperwork however does not generally seem to raise any issues.

(note also in the revised part P, there is actually now a theoretical route that allows one unable to self certify, to appoint someone to sign it off for them, without going via the LABC route)

Costs of a building notice are usually based on the commercial value of the work done. Although some areas have a surcharge for part P only applications.

More details on the current state of play:

John Rumm

What he said.

Reply to
Huge