Part P - tell the truth

Has anyone out there done any work themselves without notifying the relevant authorities (or getting a part p reg sparkie) - be honest?

Reply to
diy-newby

yes

Reply to
Vortex2

Yes, but as far as I can tell all the work that I've done is exempt from notification.

As an aside, does including the cost of a local authority inspection still make it cheaper to do the work yourself?

- Ian

Reply to
Ian Chard

I think I might have.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The message from "diy-newby" contains these words:

Yes

Reply to
Appin

not if you do it in a lot of small jobs reconnecting the supply between each one because each one incurs the same notification fee (=A3100 here in Cambridge) . If you do it all as one big job, then I would say yes.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Don't be silly .Who would dream of getting cable in "old" colours and saying the work was done before Part P. They would do it in "new" colours and say they bought the cable and did the work before Part P came in . :-)

Stuart ( In Scotland )

Reply to
Stuart B

No of course not (the others are fibbing...)

Geo

Reply to
Geo

I've wondered about this. Controlled areas excepted if they claim that reconnecting the supply is a different job then if you reconnect the supply enough you should be able to get each job down to a size where it becomes minor works. Thus a complete rewire (controlled areas excepted) doesn't need to be notified. If, on the other hand the BCO would treat that as a single job then there should only be one notification fee.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean " of course be honest" ? :-)

Reply to
Stuart B

No bloody don't. Who cares? The worst that can happen is when you want to sell, you get a mate with a electricians ticket in to sign a bit of paper saying its kosher. Or sign it yourself for that matter..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

More a case of "does anybody care a flying f**k about part p?" .....

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Anyone who has had other building-controlled work done like an extension - that gets you trapped as they won't sign off the extension without the wiring being Part P'd.

Reply to
boltmail

No.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep - I did a full house rewire, which I started before the Part P thing came in, and unfortunately didn't complete until a long time after the exemption period for ongoing works, so I should have done - however by that time I decided that it would be opening a can of worms (eg, quite a lot of cabling was no longer exposed for inspection) so just carried on regardless, even using new-coloured cable where I had run out of the old stuff.

When I completed it I got a sparks in to do an ordinary Periodic Inspection Report on it (which is what I'd done anyway on previous occasions, pre-part P) and presented the paperwork to the prospective buyer. Sale went through without a murmur (on the electrics front, anyway!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Not in my case (see earlier post) - my building notice didn't mention electrics, and to my relief the BCO never asked about it during inspections (I suppose the assumption was that a Part-P registered sparks was doing it?).

Admittedly the actual notice was submitted before Part P arrived which might have some bearing on it; but I doubt it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Well er, sort of...

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In my office conversion, which involved quite alot of electrical work (1000's of sockets, data networking, spot lights, TV points, etc etc) the BCO was more worried about how many tiles I would need to re-tile around the Velux I put in rather than 'who said you could put in an additional window..' than wanting to see a part p certification. (which there wasnt one in any case)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..