Part P - new cable colours

Have just bought some 25mm meter tails cable at TLC, and they have the new Part P colours. I will finish the work in the next few days, before Part P takes effect. TLC said that they will be getting stocks of 2.5 mm, 1.5mm and 1mm cable, also with the new colours, "any day now". Hence, anyone using cable with the new colours could genuinely have finished the work ahead of Part P being introduced. So,looking ahead,the use of the new colours cannot be deemed by the "authorities" as evidence of work having been done after Part P came into force.

As an aside, TLC were adamant that Part P will not come into effect in any way before 1st January 1996, not 1995.

CRB

Reply to
CRB

Indeed the guv'mint cocked up. Hence new colours become available and legal before Part P was implemented and so cable colour is unable to be used as proof that work should have been done under the new regulations.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'm pretty sure Part P won't come into effect until well after 1st Jan

1996...
Reply to
Neil Jones

Keep the receipt. It is simple really.

Reply to
IMM

My TLC had 3-and-earth and twin-and-earth in new colours, but could only sell me heat-resistant sleeving (for inside exterior lights) in red and black.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

as evidence of work having been done after Part P came into force.

A good reason to buy a few reels of old colours now before everyone runs out so I have "stock" for jobs over the next few years and there can be no question about when the work was done later ;-)

My local electrical wholesaler had no old colours left when I tried but B&Q had plenty.

Reply to
Alan

I got new colours a few months ago from my local place. They also said that it was no longer available in white - is this true or just what they had got...?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Does it say 'one reel of new colour cable' on it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or, would the receipt say "Cable without the old colours because of Part P"? LOL!!!

Reply to
BigWallop

My local B&Q branches had all previously run down their cable stock and put up signs saying they would be replaced with a new range in due course. Today I noticed they were well stocked again (full reels as well as the expensive off-cuts!) and I had a look expecting it to be harmonised colours, but it wasn't ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:47:13 GMT, Mike Harrison strung together this:

Me too, been using harmonised colours for ages now.

they had got...?

Could be either, depends who the manufacturers are that supplied them with the info.

Reply to
Lurch

On 26 Nov 2004 06:58:32 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com (CRB) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Well, they're going to be a bit pissed when it comes into force from the end of next month.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

R4 has just confirmed this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The BBC report I heard also went on to say that what needs to be inspected and what doesn't will be listed on a .gov web site / page January. One has to wonder why they can't do that now, perhaps Part P's content isn't set in stone yet (IYSWIM) ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well, they interviewed someone from ODPM whose name I didn't recognise who confirmed it. They also commented that electricians simply aren't joining the accredited schemes. It's probably on the BBC's listen again service. I was half asleep, but I think it was on at around 7:30 this morning.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yup. Currently accessible in the from here "Today: Saturday 7-8am":

started at 27 minutes to 8

The junior minister they wheeled out ( I forgot his name too) tried to downplay the effect on DIY, implying that it has no impact on most DIY, which isn't true technically, only practically ( Because everyone will just ignore it)

Reply to
coherers

of
far no competent persons in postcode TW

Reply to
Tony Bryer

New harmonised colours are availible as the following :--

6242YH and 6243YH in grey only, standard pvc cable 6242BH and 6243BH in white, this is an LSF cable, low smoke and fume, and a lot more expensive than standard PVC
Reply to
Stephen Dawson

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:26:27 GMT, Tony Bryer strung together this:

Doesn't appear to be a compotent person anywhere in the country according to that site.

Reply to
Lurch

These are new cable types, mentioned briefly in the current issue of 'Wiring Matters' (IEE publication). They're 90 deg C. rated thermosetting-insulation types, to BS 7211, and will have higher current ratings than normal (624xY) twin/triple-&-CPC cables. I've not seen any current rating data yet though.

'Wiring Matters' mentions their use as appropriate for situations where it's unavoidable that a cable is completely surrounded in thermal insulation. There's a forthcoming IEE publication to be called "the electrician's guide to the building regulations" which will include some standardised circuit designs for this situation.

Is there a plan, I wonder, that in future flat PVC cables (BS 6004) will only be available in grey, with white used for this new type?

Reply to
Andy Wade