Part P over and out ...

I smile in the face of part P!

Today I replaced my 30+ year-old Wylex fusebox with a nice new 12-way MK split load consumer unit & RCD/MCBs. Initially I wasn't sure there was going to be enough "slack" at the end of all the circuits but by careful positioning of the MCBs it turned out fine. Got to re-wire the DC side of the doorbell with 1mm T+E as it was only using bellwire before, with the transformer just shoved behind the busbar!

Not even cutting it fine, 9 hours to spare, though it was a bit dingy connecting up the new meter tails by torchlight ;-)

Anyone else been at it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Doing a outside light on Mon for a friend, on going as far as I am concerned as we have talked about it for months and she now wants it up pdq. Will be installed to 16th Edition req.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I couldn't find any hard and fast reference to allowing completion of "in progress" work by April 2005 so decided to have a productive December 31st for a change.

I suppose I meant ELV instead of DC when referring to the doorbell too. Anyone got any remedy to suppress the hoarding instinct? I keep thinking I'll stick the old Wylex in the attic "just in case" :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, but suppose you had waited until tomorrow, or the next day or week/month. Who would have been able to prooove when you did it?!

Reply to
Set Square

Think 1mm a bit overkill for a doorbell. ;-)

Why wasn't the transformer just mounted externally?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, finished off a new cooker, hob & hood plus shaver socket in bathroom ;-)

Reply to
TonyK

Surely they imprint timestamps on the photos taken by the black helicopters? I know what you mean though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

what's the hurry... I mean, who's going to know anyway ?

I have a cellar to wire, lights and sockets, and an external light but they won't get done till late January (hopefully sooner) afterwhich I'll get the BCO out to check the whole job (the cellar conversion not the electrics), he hasn't been out for a month (and won't until I ask him) so he won't know when the electrics where done (c;

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

Not leccy, no. Connected up waster and H&C water to new bath. Rebated (for kick strip) and installed uprights to support outside edge of bath, now drinking G&T, eating macadamia nuts and contemplating how I'm going to fasten the (wooden) bath side panel to the uprights.

Reply to
Huge

I'm sure! But I've now replaced it with a DIN rail mounted transformer inside the CU, so the cable out to the bell has to be 240V rated instead of bell-wire and 1mm is what I've got, at least the part inside the CU does, but since it's only one floorboard to replace the whole lot ...

I don't know, it would have been better that just wedging it inside the fusebox.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was mainly thinking it might be a bit of a squeeze to fit inside the push and bell.

But surely you could just have sleeved the bell wire where it passed through the consumer unit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's an interesting bathroom layout......

Reply to
James Hart

I'm only running 10' of 1mm across the hall to the bell, from the bell to the push can stay as it is ...

I thought about that, then thought it'd look a bit "untidy" where the sleeving ended ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's okay, the hobs not in Zone 1 ;-)

Reply to
TonyK

"Andy Burns" wrote | I couldn't find any hard and fast reference to allowing completion of | "in progress" work by April 2005 ... | Anyone got any remedy to suppress the hoarding instinct? I keep | thinking I'll stick the old Wylex in the attic "just in case" :-(

Put it in the garage or shed before midnight. You'll have then 'started' an installation there and have another three months if you want to rewire the garage.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The garage isn't a problem as long as it isn't a dwelling.

(all right, I suppose you could argue that the car might (but it's very unlikely) dwell there)...

Best wishes to all for 2005.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I'm afraid that garages and outbuildings are included, Frank, if the supply is fed from a dwelling.

Take a look at

then Schedule 1 P1 (c)

Happy New Year, also.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

He can watch the bacon and eggs while he's showering !!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

"Dave Stanton" wrote | James Hart wrote: | > TonyK wrote: | >> Yep, finished off a new cooker, hob & hood plus shaver socket in | >> bathroom ;-) | > That's an interesting bathroom layout...... | He can watch the bacon and eggs while he's showering !!

Better be careful he doesn't burn his chipolata ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Replaced my cheap SquareD Quickline no-RCD consumer unit with a nice industrial Memshield2 CU with separate RCBO protection for each RCD protected circuit, last Monday. I had bought it a while a go, but hadn't got a round tuit until now.

Was over at my parents place for New Year, and rewired their under- cupboard kitchen lights in order to conceal the wiring with about 3 hours to go. Anyone better 3 hours?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel