Part P over and out ...

I bet wives all over the UK are smiling about part P. All those jobs that have been put off for so long suddenly getting done. They'll be after a part W for gardening next !!!!! :-)

Reply to
Mike

Nah.

The interesting question now is who is going to own up to doing electrical work with no intention of involving officialdom?

Sort of like a phoney war really.........

Reply to
Andy Hall

Me ! Part P is Nanny taking the PISS, a bridge too far for me.!

Reply to
Mark

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:29:06 +0000, Andy Burns strung together this:

I piss in it's tea!

You've got a DC bell transformer? Where did that come from?

You get used to it, I can do it in the dark!

I was working at someones house 1st fixing the extension at about the time you posted this. I'll also be starting plenty more jobs over the coming months....

Reply to
Lurch

I realised that mistake myself and coughed up to it :-)

Can you refit the service fuse blind-folder by touch too? Shudder!

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 01:49:39 +0000, Andy Burns strung together this:

Yep, it's quite easy to find, I light up when I've found it so I can see to put the fuse in!

Reply to
Lurch

He's always been a bright spark. :-) It's those glow in the dark fingers of yours, Lurch.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 04:54:04 GMT, "BigWallop" strung together this:

;-)

Reply to
Lurch

Who & how are they going to 'police' the new regs anyway?

Will the 'creosote police' be given new powers?

Reply to
Don Spumey

Neighbourhood snitch line on 0800 7278 733 :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Spit, surely? :-)

I did a similar job the Thursday before Christmas. I was amazed at how easy it was, and how long I'd been putting it off! The nice new Wylex CU was a joy to wire, and pulling the main fuse was a doddle.

Mr Prescott may believe our house was safer with 12 circuits on 6 fuses, inadequate earthing, no RCD protection or interlinked mains smoke alarms, but I beg to differ!

Cheers, David.

Reply to
davidrobinson

Same here really, about 3 hours all told could have organised more in advance, biggest problem was aching knees/back next day from kneeling/crouching under stairs :-(

I asked powergen who said not us, see e.on/Central Networks I asked e.on/Central Networks who said not us, see powergen so didn't feel too guilty, bit apprehensive, needn't have worried.

I wanted RCD protection and MCBs insteasd of fuses, to separate off most of kitchen and garage from what was a single ring, separate the up/downstairs light circuits.

Beyond what I wanted to do I didn't ignore any other requirements I was aware of so upgraded the tails to 25mm^2, the main earth to 16mm^2 the earth bonding to 10mm^2, (which also achieved replacing green with green/yellow) added the "don't remove" signs to the earth and bonding.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I feel a bit strongly about all this. The people you pay for your electricity supply should be the ones who take an interest in supply failures, metering, fusing and so on, but they all simply palm you off on to your REC, who of course WERE usually your original "leccy board", supplying and selling power.

Once upon a time, if you wanted a beefier supply to your premises you would contact your "leccy board". On the grounds that you would likely be using more electricity they would usually grant your wishes free of charge. Nowadays, since you're buying your power from somebody completely different, the REC will charge a "commercial" fee. We're talking several thousand pounds...

I'm finding this out trying to get a much bigger supply to an amateur theatre with which I'm involved.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Plenty of people (here, various forums and real life) just say pull the fuse yourself and get on with it, I thought I'd attempt proper routes first.

Spent ages on phone to supplier getting passed from callcentre to dept to dept, eventually referred to REC (or whatever the correct term is now)

Tried phoning REC, was referred to their webste, sent them an email, asking if they would authorise me to do it and then they visit to re-seal, or quote a price for them to fit an isolator, got no reply for a week, when I did get a reply it was in the post rather than by email, please contact your supplier.

So i pulled the fuse myself and got on with it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Andy Burns writes

Why, were the Part P Police standing watching you ?

Exactly how many of the general public know or even care about it?

Personally, I've never heard of it

Reply to
raden

Maybe he likes to take loooong baths

Reply to
raden

In message , Andy Hall writes

Putting it that way indicates a feeling of guilt, which is obviously lacking in the minds of some of the criminal lawbreakers here

which reminds me ...

Reply to
raden

In message , Lurch writes

He works by the light of his smouldering hair

Reply to
raden

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:43:40 GMT, raden strung together this:

Heard of what?

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Lurch writes