Self-closing Door Hinges

Hi there,

I have an interior door that I want to gently self-close, when it i left open. Now I know you can get rising-butt hinges to do this, bu the problem is that there's only 4cm clearance between the top of th door and ceiling. So, fitting the door up and onto standard rising-but hinges would be impossible.

So, how do I solve this problem? Can you get mini rising-butt hinges Or perhaps spring-loaded hinges

-- image165

Reply to
image165

Or rising butt hinges that only lift the door by 1cm. Have you thought about getting the bottom hinge to make the rise for you? You can set the bottom hinge out from the normal flush position by just a few millimetres and this will create a small rise in the door as it opens. It will also make the door swing slowly closed again.

Try experimenting with the bottom hinge fixed with only screw in the standard and one in the door. Try placing the hinge pin slightly out from the normal position and see what happens.

Reply to
BigWallop

I don't see the problem here. Just preassemble the hinges before screwing to the frame. The ability to lift it off isn't really required.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I`ve got one of the springy things mounted on a door in our living room, and have set the spring so its quite slack and won`t force the door to close (otherwise our dogs would be locked in)

how gentle, and how well do you want it to close ? - in our case we have the spring loosened off so it stays open 3-4" but if you want it to close fully i`m guessing that wouldn`t work for you.

You know what, you might have just hit upon an idea for a new product based on the lines of the one I link to, but with hydraulic dampers to control the mech properly...

Reply to
Colin Wilson