Built in fridge problem

Got a 12 year old built in the kitchen units fridge, just a plain fridge, not a fridge freezer. Recently it seems as if it's just not getting cold enough inside. Milk is going off, cold drinks aren't

*REALLY* cold, just slightly cooler than room temp. The inside is a one piece plastic moulding, the rear of which quickly acquires a thin coating of ice. So something is cooling the interior, and it *LOOKS* like the fridge should keep things cold. the door is shutting properly, the seal is in good order. I am quite puzzled how there is ice forming, yet the general inside temp seems high. I have a remote sensor outside temperature reader, I'll try putting that inside and get a proper reading, but in the meantime has anyone any ideas?

Finally, are all "built in lower work top / cupboards" fridges a standard size and easily purchased from the likes of Comet et cetera? It's the type where the wooden door panel of the kitchen units is clipped to the fridge door itself, so when closed it looks like any other unit. Thanks for any tips.

Thanks

Reply to
Chris Wilson

These usually have a cooling fan inside check its running and the vents are not blocked, otherwise its buy a replacement time.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Had a similar problem with our fridge earlier this year (was only about 5 years old) - turned out that the thermostat had failed in a peculiar fashion.

Found a chap on Ebay (down in Cornwall) who was selling 'universal' replacement fridge stats - think it cost just over £10 - and was ever so easy to fit......

I'll look out his details if you're interested (turns out I was at primary school with him & his brother some time in the last century ) - I quoted him the model & make & he was able to specify the right unit.

Hope this helps Adrian Suffolk UK

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Thanks for the replies, I pulled it out from the units, took the lower front grill off, and using an air line (I run a workshop at home) blew out several years of dust and dog hairs and general detritus. Put a temp probe in it today and it reads about 3.5 degrees C in the free air in the middle. it doesn't have an ice making compartment. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

should be 5deg c or below so it is ok