Part P - tell the truth

I removed the seals on both when I bought this house and re-wired. In the '70s. Despite gawd knows how many meter readings since no-one ever said anything. Then, about 5 years ago, they fitted a new type meter and of course seals. About a couple of years ago I fitted a new split load CU with new tails so yet again no seals anywhere...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok, I can see you are one of life's risk-takers! ;-)

Rumble

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Depends on the level of risk, I guess. As it happens I was having a CU changed as part of a kitchen fit and got chatting to the (all papers in order, Part-P'ed, "proper") electrician. He said during training they were told not they weren't allowed (theoretically) to break the meter seals but that they were told life would be impossible if they didn't, so carry on and ignore it. Especially now, where 16 mm^2 tails have to be replaced by 25 mm^2 tails anyway (never mind that the links from the supply fuse to the meter are still 16mm^2) so even if the tails are the right length you often have to change them.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

round here the fuses are sealed with a strip of special paper not a proper wire and lead tag. We lightly knocked our fuse cover by accident just walking past it; the cover didn't come off or amnything but it moved enough to tear the paper seal.

I'm going to have someone change the CU shortly. From the thead here it seema that the electrician would notrmally be expected to work live on this. So perhaps he'll give me a disount for having a removable fuse.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

A 'normal' domestic electrician is not expected to work live. He'll simply remove any seal to isolate things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message

from RobertL contains these words:

Many moons ago (probably late 80s) I decided to replace my 3 way fused CU with a pukka up to date 8 way with MCBs, but got cold feet about the thought of doing the installation live, so I had a professional do it while I was at work. I was horrified to find when I go home that he had broken the seal and pulled the company fuse. I was also horrified by his lack of care in wiring up the new CU. It looked like a mass of spaghetti and I had to completely strip it out and redo before I could wire in any new circuits. I told the electricity company that the seal had been broken and eventually the meter reader slapped a paper seal on the fuse but it didn't seal properly and, until the meter was replaced a year ago, it remained that way. I was thus able to pull the company fuse when I finally upgraded to a split CU without actually disturbing the seal.

Reply to
Roger

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Which are painfully obvious when they've been fitted. Enabling a check to be done on meter reading variations if there's any suspicion of fiddling by bridging the meter. Though exactly why someone who had just changed the meter tails would risk being discovered having bridged the meter, I can't imagine.

Reply to
Appin

I don't think being "expected" to work live would carry a lot of weight! As I said elsewhere, my electrician just replaced my CU (and upgraded meter tails. Off came all the seals , out came the fuse, bish, bosh, job done, "their" tough luck if the seals are broken, no other option. End of.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The message from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

A sensible approach. The electricity supply company sealing the final connection point for the customer's installation doesn't belong in the real world of the present day. The CU I changed in the holiday cottage which had an unsealed company fuse now has 25mm^2 tails from CU to the existing Henley Blocks and the existing meter tails from the meter to the Henley Blocks. Daft.

Reply to
Appin

The electrician who replaced my parents' CU several years ago would only cut the seal on the main fuse - he extended the meter tails using henley blocks and then got my mother to phone the supplier/board and let them know that the seals had been broken and that new tails were required. He said to make sure they didn't take his henley blocks and he'd be back for them.

She dutifully rang the supplier/board and sure enough they came around, replaced the tails and sealed the fuse. The electrician never did collect the henley blocks though - I think they're in the shed somewhere.

Reply to
Richard Conway