Part P - time limit?

I'm not an electrician but I do have the necessary skills and knowledge to rewire my own house and I consider myself competent to do the job.

Unfortunately, I've been left partially disabled after a back injury and can't work for a living anymore. I say "partially" disabled because I can do maybe 15 to 20 minutes work, then have to spend 45 minutes to an hour resting whilst the pain subsides down to manageable levels again - not many bosses will put up with that :o(

Anyway, I don't intend to be beaten by this problem and fully intend to do the rewire myself [1] so it's going to take a very long time. I'll probably only get 1 socket installed per day - well, it may not be that bad, but you get my drift.

So, what problems will this bring regarding Part P? The perfect solution would be to do all the work and then get the BCO involved after the fact, a sort of retrospective application. Is that possible to do?

TIA

Jelly Belly [1] Ironic really, innit? When I was working and getting a decent wage, I could afford to get people in to do things but never did - I would always DIY. Now that I really could do with getting people in to do the work I can't afford to, because I'm existing on less than one third of what I used to get. Ah well....

Reply to
Jelly Belly

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:43:29 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Jelly Belly" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Not really. A regularisation application on work already carried out would require you to expose some of what you've covered over.

There's no reason why you can't submit a Building Notice. There's no time limit, and no limit on the number of inspections carried out. The BCO isn't going to be too chuffed to be called out every day or every other day to see a little bit of first fix, but he'll have to live with it.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Talk to your local BCO and ask them. They should be able to suggest the best way to deal with it. If they will not play ball politely remind them about the Disability Discrimination Act. Good luck with your perseverance.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:43:29 +0100, Jelly Belly wrote (in article ):

Give the building control people at your local authority a call and ask to speak to a building control officer. You can make a Building Notice application before starting the work and I believe you have a very long time to complete it before a final inspection. Alternatively, you make a regularisation application afterwards which costs about the same, normally.

Don't overdo it :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Hugo, Peter and Andy. I'll give the BCO a ring later on today and see what goes on.

Cheers.

Reply to
Jelly Belly

Quite a small proportion of BCO inspections would be for disabled but well qualified electricians - I would be surprised if they didn't go out of their way to be helpful.

Given that you have a skill, but limited capacity for manual work, have you considered becoming Part P qualified (and self-employed) to inspect other peoples work?

Reply to
dom

To be honest, I haven't. I'm 48-years old and someday I hope to get well and fit enough to be able to work again but it's too soon yet. Sometimes it's hard enough to get out of bed and, on the worst days, it takes me about an hour just to get me Bill Grundy's and me socks on, so I just couldn't make an appointment with anyone and guarantee to be able to get there on time - or even on the day :o)

JB

Reply to
Jelly Belly

wrote

Part P qualification only extends to self certification, not inspection of work done by others

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Heh. What a *wonderful* idea.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I'm going to be the party pooper. If you have the funds, I'd get someone else to do it and replace this task with another challenge.

The rewiring may seem like a great idea now, but will it really feel that way after you've spread this work out over a substantial time? I suspect that the smile on your face and the BCO will be very strained before the end and if you have a family in tow, the smile on their face will be hard to read too, I imagine. Remember that if you do have a family, it's not going to be pleasant for them to watch you doing this.

I'd suggest that you replace this with a different challenge to put your energies into so that you can recover without enduring a mountain of pain and hassle for you and your family.

Whatever you decide, good luck and speedy recovery.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Indeed. The inspector needs no qualifications at all!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Jelly Belly" contains these words:

That's not a disability round here, that's normal life! (No slur intended on what must be a really agravating situation)

Reply to
Guy King

Our local building control is taking the view that they're not qualified to check, so they're asking for a "periodic inspection" to be done after the installation is complete. If yours says the same you could put in the notice, finish the work whenever, and just pay for the final inspection by a qualified electrician.

auctions

Has anyone clarified the issue of whether or not they are allowed to charge (or insist you incur a charge) over and above the normal building control fee for inspection?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

The building control must pay for the inspection. They are not permitted to ask you to pay for this. This is explicitly stated in Part P itself.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There's only one charge isn't there? That's pure evil.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

But my council explicitly say fork out another 200. How do you get round that?

Reply to
<me9

When I builyt my last inspection the BCO gave up and issued the completion cert long before it was finished.

Reply to
<me9

You may have to sue them or wave two shag's letter (saying that such practices are illegal) at them.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:13:54 +0100, had this to say:

Notify the LA and keep a record of your notification, together with a copy of the relevant bits of PratP. If they don't come round to inspect it, that's their problem.

Reply to
Frank Erskine