What is the best phone/net package in BT land?

and if you don't want BT sport that's the reason not to be with BT

not to be forced to cross subsidise BT Sports customers

tim

Reply to
tim...

I choose not to bundle my TV and it's cheaper than any bundle offers it at

Zero pounds

and I have more choice than I know what to do with

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yes the supplied PlusNet router is rubbish, and before anyone signs up for a new PlusNet account, take a look at their forums, particularly the feedback one, for a fair view on current customer service. 'Dire' would be putting a gloss on it. Billing and account management seems particularly badly run. This degradation in what used to be a well regarded supplier seems to date from the BT takeover.

Reply to
mechanic

For our 50pm we get speeds in excess of 100 Mbps, excellent customer service, unlimited phone calls and, most importantly, unlimited downloads. Real unlimited, not toy unlimited subject to restrictions.

Reply to
Graeme

Its worth noting with plusnet they will not automatically shift you to new deals even when the one you are on is discontinued and replaced with something else. So its worth checking what you are buying against the current offers from time to time.

Reply to
John Rumm

Plusnet also offer BT sport as an extra. (not sure how it compares price wise though)

Reply to
John Rumm

The irony there is that I get spam/scam calls claiming to be "from Talktalk your ISP"... and I have never even been a customer!

Reply to
John Rumm

Not that you have to use the plusnet router...

Reply to
John Rumm

Having been a customer since close to their inception, I would say support is not as good as it was at their best. However to call it "dire" is not a something the majority of customers would recognise.

No doubt for *some* customers the service is dire, although I expect that will be true for any ISP. (either because mistakes get made and you are unlucky enough for them to affect you, or *you* are part of the problem and would have problems with any ISP!)

Well to pick the highlights from the 2018 ISP review:

Broadband

  • Plusnet had the highest customer satisfaction (86%)
  • TalkTalk had the lowest customer satisfaction (72%)
  • TalkTalk had the highest proportion of customers with a reason to complain (18%)
  • Plusnet had the lowest proportion of customers with a reason to complain (13%)
  • Plusnet had the longest call waiting times (7:50 mins)
  • EE had the shortest call waiting times (48 seconds)

(alas these only compare the larger suppliers)

Reply to
John Rumm

Nop but I see the magic letters BT there.

BT does NOT do cable

From there the conversation established that ADSL was sufficient for his needs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I get tonnes of calls claiming to be BT telling me to click on the windows logo on my windows PC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was satisfied with the KCOM service, more or less, but now I am moving across the Humber, I will have to choose from a very large array of providers not available to me here.

Reply to
swldxer1958

I plonked out on a Draytek that does ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL. So I am fttc ready if I want to go that way.

It's available but costs more and is likely not much faster. - 2km to the VDSL cab, 4.5km to the exchange DSLAM....I might get about 15Mbps down and 1.2Mbps up

but really I am happy with 6Mbps down and 1Mbps up..its enough and getting 50% more is not really sufficiently exciting to want to go for it

I think the moral here is that if you act like a dumb consumer you will be fed expensive shit but if you do the research you can evaluate a lot better options that are available

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My KCOM package is currently FTTP and I have had it for 2 years now, but won't be able to take it with me when I move 10 miles south of the Humber.

Reply to
swldxer1958

His actual words were BTland - i.e. not KCOM land - not specifically to BT itself and, as all KCOM packages have anlimited usage sllowance I assumed that by 100MB he means

100Mbs which coupled to his £50 monthly bill would seem, to me, to point to fibre.
Reply to
Terry Casey

It may well do, but that is what he is moving *from* not what he is moving *to*.

That - BTland - is twisted pair. Might be ADSL might JUST be VDSL (FTTC)

Wont be FFTP unless he is dead lucky

And looking at his needs, ADSL2+ is likely all he needs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I meant to type cable (which is fibre, anyway) but the OP has now confirmed that his KCOM is FTTP, so it doesn't really make much difference, anyway.

Reply to
Terry Casey

We have had FTTP for 4 years in the Hull area.

swldxer1958

John Rumm explained :

Correct, I use the ex-BT version of the same router, in which OpenWRT has been installed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

mechanic presented the following explanation :

Perhaps so, but in the 13 months since I joined them, their service has been exemplary. No issues with the line, no issues with billing, a slight delay (couple of days) when I swapped to FTTC a few months ago. No spam from the email account at all, no blocked ports, the email has never been off that I noticed, no traffic shaping, no slowups - all of these so unlike Talktalk I was used to.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield