way OT: Gift Aid for primary schools - anyone involved/experiences with/of?

just pondering how this would/could work to get at the 28p per =A3 "carrot" i relation to schools (esp primary)...

at mo the usual constant dribble of requests, events etc etc that all add up to a few thousand =A3 over a year, which could be worth upto 28% more if it's doable...and worthwhile...

ta Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I think GA only works with properly constituted charities. Not sure if all schools can do this but an organisation set up to support the school such as a PTA should be able to get charitable status.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

My sons' secondary school asks for a lump donation of 20 quid at the start of the yera, and leaves it at that. They include a Gift Aid declaration with the begging letter.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You'd need to become a registered charity. And BTW, it's only been 25% since the standard tax rate was reduced to 20% a couple of years ago - or whenever. [A lot of charities are still quoting 28%, but that was only true when the tax rate was 22%!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes; and then again, no.

The reduction in the basic rate did indeed mean that a charity can only claim 25p for every pound donated. But HMRC will automatically pay another 3p for every pound donated as a transitional relief until 5 April 2011. So the charity does get 28p in total. Charities lobbied hard for this relief as they would otherwise have seen their income drop unexpectedly.

And people wonder why tax is complicated.

Reply to
Robin

Yup already are.

mmm I'll check but ISTR reading the Govt was topping up with an extra

3 in the pound??

is this out of date now?

Jim K

Oops - I'd obviously missed the bit about the 3p topup. Looks like it will revert to 25% next year though.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Schools can use GA and do not have to be charities. The rules are little complex in that the money has to be a "gift" rather than payment for a particular thing (e.g. a school trip). So they can't get GA if parents pay for each trip at a time. However, as in your son's secondary school, you can pay a annual or termly "gift" (which covers all the trips) and the school can claim gift aid on that.

Reply to
Mark

Can you please point me to the basis for this? (I used to be familiar with gift aid for exempt and excepted charities which did not need to

*register* and with small charities whose income was below £5,000 pa but I never knew there was gift aid for bodies which were not even charities - other than community amateur sports clubs and the handful of statutory bodies .)
Reply to
Robin

appear to treat state schools as charities but, AFAIK, they do not have to registered as such and definitely /can/ use GA).

Reply to
Mark

Apparently, with some strings, they *can* use it for a single trip...

the strings are so tight, it's rarely going to work.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Speaking as a school governor I can tell you that we were instructed by the LA to change to a termly or annual amount, otherwise we were would not be permitted to claim GA on donations for school trips.

And the admin would be a nightmare...

Reply to
Mark

" 3.43 Educational school trips

3.43.1

HM Revenue & Customs Charities received approaches from schools and PTA=92s enquiring if Gift Aid could be used in respect of voluntary contributions toward educational school trips.

3.43.2

The following text has been passed to the Department of Education and is to be included in advice issued by the department to schools.

In schools, other than independent schools, the education provided wholly or mainly during school hours is free. This means that head teachers may not impose a charge on parents for any visit that is undertaken as part of the National Curriculum and occurs during school hours. The head teacher may, however, ask for a voluntary contribution.

Parents must be made aware that the contribution is not compulsory, and the children of parents who do not contribute may not be discriminated against. It is permissible for the school to ask parents to contribute more than the minimum amount in order to subsidise those pupils whose parents have not contributed. However, if there are not enough voluntary contributions and the shortfall cannot be made up, the visit may have to be cancelled. Gift Aid

Voluntary parental contributions to charitable schools or charities associated with LEA schools to assist schools to send pupils on educational school trips in school time may be eligible for tax relief under the Gift Aid scheme,

#### provided the usual requirements of the scheme are satisfied ####

and in particular:

  • Parental contributions are made on the basis that they are not refundable (and are not in any event refunded) if the trip does not go ahead or if their child does not go on the trip * Any benefit arising from the school trip does not exceed the maximum level of permissible benefit for the donation.

For a donation of =A30 - =A3100 the value of the benefits must not exceed

25% of the donation. For a donation of =A3101 - =A31000 the value of the benefits must not exceed =A325.

Benefits include travel costs, trip insurance, cost of entry and associated educational material, cost of food and drink supplied and any other costs associated with the trip (costs averaged per pupil if appropriate). In general, however, it is likely that the benefits associated with a school trip contribution will exceed the maximum level of permissible benefits and so the donation will not come within the Gift Aid scheme"

my #### highlight...

would those usual requiremnts be "a charity", "registered with HMRC" etc etc etc?

reading further (above) it seems tricky to do a trip without tripping up on the 25% benefit limitation

which would fit with Mark's comment re LA advice to do single termly/ annual donations to get GA benefit for trips (amongst all other uses)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

As so often with tax legislation, the devil is in the detail. That page links to

The more detailed guidance there includes the text I have pasted below. See in particular the first para. under the heading "gift aid". (It is of course possible that schools may get gift aid payments from Bootle without being or setting up a charity as HMRC won't investigate many, and there is no need for charities with income

Reply to
Robin