Wash basin on dab and dob wall

I want to fit a new basin on a breeze block wall that is covered in plasterboard. The weight of the existing basin has pushed some of the plasterboard inwards at its bottom edge.

I was considering removing it and cutting out an area of P/B and screwing and gripfixing some plywood onto the breeze block and then skimming over before fitting the new basin. However, I wondered if I could get by with just injecting some Gripfix Adhesive through some holes in the plasterboard to harden the area. I will be using long basin mounting fixings so the surface just needs to withstand the compression to keep the basin rigidly fixed.

What are your opinions?

Reply to
John

use car body filler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mmmm! Was thinking that the cartridge gun would be a good way of getting it to cover an area from a few small holes though.

Reply to
John

could well work..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is the basin on a pedestal? If not, replacing it with a pedestal basin ought to deal with the digging-in problem. The wash basin in my loo is also against a dot'n'dabbed block wall, and I don't have that problem.

Skim won't stick well to plywood.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Is the basin on a pedestal? If not, replacing it with a pedestal basin ought to deal with the digging-in problem. The wash basin in my loo is also against a dot'n'dabbed block wall, and I don't have that problem.

Skim won't stick well to plywood.

Cheers Richard

Thanks - no it isn't a pedestal. Very small (10 depth) basin - wall mount.

Reply to
John

Make up some tubular spacers that go through to the block work and finish flush with the plasterboard. Screw through with plugs and big woodscrews to get a good grip in the wall.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I quite like the idea but I feel I would need to do something at the lower edge of the basin to prevent it pushing into the P/B as my old one has.

Reply to
John