Waggly Metpost spike

Due to the recent winds, I have a couple of waggly Metpost spikes.

If I fill and really pack the hole (thinking of hammer and peice of wood to tamp it in) will the problem be solved, or will I get the same all over again?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

I had this problem sometime ago at my old house when I built my own fence (never again). Basically what had happened is that the metposts had snapped under the ground over time (Maybe a duff lot). This happened at three seperate points. To fix I dag around the posts and poured post concrete in, however there was still some movement. I also tried banging wedges of wood in which proved a waste of time. The only good way to fix this IMO is to dig the old metposts out (A bugger of a job in itself) and set fence posts in concrete, you can buy bags especially for fence posts from the sheds. I will never buy Metposts again after my experience, what seemed like a quick and easy way to errect a fence turned into a nightmare. I eventually moved house but still keep in contact with my old neighbour, everytime we meet he mentions that bloody fence as it still hasn't been fixed!!! :)

Just my experience but others may have a better solution. Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

My metposts have not broken, they just made the hole they are in into a slot.

I don't like putting fence posts underground, because the ones I replaced were only 5 years old and were rotten below ground (a crisp bag cast into the outside of the concrete "best before" date to thank for the dating) . The metspikes hold them above ground, so I would hope they would last longer (And I soaked the ends in creosote).

I am thinking they would be fine if I could get the ground firm. I don't want to go to the trouble of dismanling the fence to set them in concrete unless someone has already tried the firming technique and failed. The metpost website says just drive them into the ground, no concreting required, and they are gale proof.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

I'd say they were pretty likely to fail again, but as it's dead quick and easy to give it a go, surely it's worth a try rather than pulling the whole fence out and doing the 'proper job'. I'd certainly try the quick method first if it was me.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I would never use metposts as any ground that you can drive them into as the ground can eventually give the problem that you have.

Only good use I can see for them is for picket type fencing up to a metre high where there is much less wind resistence in the fence.

I would go either for full concrete posts or shorter concrete godfather posts that are set in the ground and then the wooden posts bolted to them clear of the ground

Another option is to set the existing metpost in concrete just by digging out all round it but leaving everything in place. If you are concerned about movement whilst the concrete is setting then brace the fence panels from both sides

Looking on the bright side you don't have to dig out old concrete post surrounds in order to put the fence right

Tony

Reply to
TMC

IMHO, the only way to not have to keep doing the fencing job over and over is to use concrete posts in concrete filled 10" diameter holes and the hole should be at least a third the depth of the height of the fence. I will never use wooden posts not even if they are multi coated in tar/bitumen/diesel/whatever. If you know that the posts aren't coming out in your lifetime, concrete posts in concrete filled holes are the only way to do it. Takes longer but you only have to do it once.. It's also not a bad job to get old concrete lumps out if you hire a mini 110volt jackhammer with a selection of bits. Forget a lumphammer and coldchisel..... just horrible

Reply to
wounded horse

Few things:

- Rammed earth is best with clay soils - Crushed concrete may be best for other soils - Posts will last if they are well treated - See also...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I use a compromise solution. Wooden posts (concrete not acceptable for appearance reasons) in special metposts, which are specifcally designed to be buried in concrete. Solid as a rock. Wooden posts entirely above ground.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle