Waggly fence post in concrete block

I have another waggly fence post, this time a rotten one in a concrete block. I was going to drive a metpost next to it to splint it with another post until I realised it had concrete around it.

What is the easiest way to repair this without dismantling the fence. The fence panels are held to the post by nails which tend to destroy the panel if you try to dismantle it.

The Metpost repair jobbie looks like you would need to dismantle the fence. Is there any other product about for this job? I was thinking of 2 blade things to drive between the concrete and wood on either side.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

I have a row of 4x4 fenceposts each screwed to a length of angle iron. The angles are in concrete and hold the lower ends of the fenceposts about 3 inches off the ground. Works ok, been there for about 12 years, not a sniff of rot.

You might be able to do the same thing.

Support the fence panels with balks of timber, each about 2ft away from the fencepost. Saw off the bottom of the fencepost, and dig out the concrete lump. Screw on the angle, straighten up the fence and temporarily hold it vertical with a length of roofing batten. Put some shuttering around the angle, and refill the hole with concrete. Carefully align your prayer mat and pray furiously for no wind over the next few days.

Reply to
Tony Williams

You can separate the panels from the post without destroying them. Prize each panel just sufficiently away from the post to be able to get a hacksaw blade in the gap, and you can then saw off all the nails which secure the panels to the post. It can be pretty tedious, depending on how many nails there are, but it's a technique which I have used successfully many times over the years. It helps to get one of those plastic handles designed to hold hacksaw blades, otherwise the blade tends to destroy your glove(s)!

Bye from Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

How about just knocking a couple of bits of 2" angle iron down the side of the rotten bit, then fix it to the top with a few large screws? Probably best to sharpen the bottom to a point and chamfer the inside to a chisel tip make it easier to drive in.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Metpost repair spurs (or even shorter spikes can be used. Support the panels and use a padsaw between the panels and post to cut through nails. The metpost will _just_ fit between the panels with a little encouragement and then when you drive it in you only have to worry about it being vertical in one plane. You might be able to re-use the post as you are only interested in the part above ground. I tend to find it easier to use the type of metpost which is tightened by bolts rather than the wedge-fit type. It also makes it possible to use wooden packing if the post is not quite vertical.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race