choosing the right glue for stretchy PVC

I'm not entirely sure whether fixing an airbed actually counts as DIY, but I could really use some help from people who know about adhesives... I have to stick a PVC patch onto a PVC airbed, so that it can stretch and contract as it is inflated and deflated. Does anybody know what I should use? Thanx!

Reply to
guy.williams

Bicycle repair kit has adhesive that moves with the tyre, so it should work on an air bad as well I'd have thought.

Reply to
BigWallop

thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that. I think the bicycle stuff only works on rubber but since this is plastic... any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Guy.

BigWall> > I'm not entirely sure whether fixing an airbed actually counts as DIY,

anybody

should work on

Reply to
guy.williams

Cobblers then..................for some of their glue. The same stuff they use to stick soles on shoes would probably do it.

Reply to
BigWallop

maybe I'll try that - thank you!

BigWall> > thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that. I think the bicycle stuff

Reply to
guy.williams

PVC cement?

Get it in any plumbers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dead easy - you need a product called "VinylWeld", which is a solvent adhesive specifically for PVC. You may find it through car accessory places, as it's useful for repairing vinyl upholstery (do any cars still have vinyl upholstery ?)

Polyurethane glues (cobblers Shoe Goo) will work, but not for long.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Try vinyl floor tile adhesive but give it a good long time to set.

Reply to
Mike

What about spray-on impact adhesive?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

"Andy Dingley" wrote | Dead easy - you need a product called "VinylWeld", which is | a solvent adhesive specifically for PVC. You may find it through | car accessory places, as it's useful for repairing vinyl upholstery | (do any cars still have vinyl upholstery ?)

Some vans and trucks will have vinyl seating for its wipe-clean properties.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Had the same problem, go to a camping shop and buy a kit which will supply patches and glue. I went to Camping and General on Canvey but there must be camping shops elsewhere.

Reply to
Chris

Spray-on contact adhesive and thin rubber patches, ie. your average bicycle repair kit will do nicely...

/Morten

Reply to
Morten

Wow, so many great suggestions - thanks everybody!

Peter Scott wrote:

Reply to
guy.williams

Could I suggest that you might get some benefit from this link?

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

There is a vinyl glue in a small tube that will do the trick. Take a look for it in a DIY type store. I have used it in the past on small airbeds. The only problem you might have, is making sure the surfaces to bond (glue) are clean and free of grease.

Dave

Reply to
Dave