broken fence post

Hi,

I've noticed a fence post in the middle of my fence is completely rotten at the bottom, and the whole thing has developed an ominous lean (though the panels on either side are still serviceable). The fence is 6 foot high.

I have propped up the panels, and detatched them from the post. The post was so rotten it was completely separate from the root of the post, which was still in the ground. I was able to pull the root post out with my hand (it was really damp and not very strongly held in). This left a square-shaped hole in the concrete that surrounds the fence, about a foot deep, the exact size of the original post, and with a concrete bottom.

I was thinking of trying to get one of these to support the new post:

it into the existing hole, and then filling the hole with concrete to hold it in place.

Would this work? Would the new concrete bond sufficiently strongly to the old concrete to provide sufficient support? Or is there a better way to deal with it?

Thanks

Miles

Reply to
Miles

I recently used concrete fence splints from Wickes to secure my fence posts as they had rotted at the bottom. The only trouble I had with one was that the footprint of the cement used to secure the post meant I had to use another bit of wood to bridge the gap between the splint and the post, both secured using coaching bolts.

Reply to
robin

I'd be worried about a 6ft fence with only 1ft of post in the ground and would "dig it out" and replace with a new post with nearer 2ft in the ground.

However, if you don't want all that hassle, get a post the same size as the original and, with a bit of gentle planing, you can probably get it to fit in the existing hole.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

These kind of things are not a great deal of good. Another version is the Metpost which has a spike going into the soil.

The product that you show is probably a bit better in that it is concreted into thr ground. However, the main problem is that the support for the post in the cup is quite poor because it is quite short.

The best solution is to replace the post with a concrete one and all the others while you are at it because they will probably also be on their way out; or to at least replace the entire post with another wooden one.

Reply to
Andy Hall