Alternatives to laminate flooring?

I am thinking of slapping some laminate flooring down over the old, scruffy floorboards of my house prior to selling it. However, I feel a little guilty considering the problem it is bound to present to anyone wanting access to the under-floor space (say to modify the plumbing or the wiring). Is there anything with a similar appearance and price that allows easier access to the floorboards underneath?

Failing that, are there any tricks of the trade for removing a section of laminate flooring, temporarily, to gain access to the floorboards underneath - such that the section can be relaid without obvious re-joining showing up?

Thank you,

Drake

Reply to
Drake

Why not... new floorboards?

Similar price for redwood T&G as the cheaper-end of middle-priced laminate. (e.g. Sister just bought enough for a 13'x13' bedroom (previous floorboards in bad state), cost £150, give or take, from reputable timber yard.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

If it is the glue together stuff then you can't remove a section without damaging it, however you can do it such that you can replace it and not see the join.

(you use a circular saw set to laminate depth of cut to cut around the perimeter of the board to take out - leaving a small margin to the original joint. Then chisel away (chisel obliquely to break the glue bond from the tongue of the adjacent board) the remaining edges of the old board once the centre bit is out of the way. Finally to refit you will need to rip the bottom section of the grove away on the new board on two edges to make getting it back into the space possible. Once glued it will look as good as new if you have done it carefully.

Failing that, stick a cheap carpet over the lot... can't say a room full of laminate would attract me to buy a house! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Drake writes

Most modern stuff seems to be the click together type anyway, whilst not meant to be lifted and replaced, it can be a few times, but it's bit awkward.

TBh, I'd stop worrying about the next owner of the house, they'll have probably ripped it our in a few years anyway. Worry about selling it as quickly and for as high a price as possible, if laminate with help do that then go for it.

If it really prays on your mind, then put down some cheapish carpet instead.

Reply to
chris French

It's a very good suggestion - thank you. However, one of the reasons I like the idea of laying something on top of the existing floorboards is that it will improve the sound, fumes and thermal insulation between floors. This is more important than usual to me because each floor is a self-contained flat.

Drake

Reply to
Drake

Thank you for the tips on refitting a section of laminate. I guessed it must be possible. Choosing the right circular saw blade is probably a key element in doing it neatly, is it?

I think the same, actually. A fitted carpet is certainly an option.

Drake

Reply to
Drake

That makes sense. Thanks.

Drake.

Reply to
Drake

Not really, because you are not keeping the cut edge. The saw jut lets you take out most of the board. You still need to chip off the edge of the board from its adjoining one to break the glue joint. The important thing is setting the depth of cut on the saw so as not to damage the floor below.

Noting your other reply about this being a flat, you will find that the neighbours below will not thank you for fitting laminate - it tends to sound very loud and helps transmission of noise through the floors. A heavy crumb rubber underlay or thick chipped foam one, with a carpet over, will do far more to reduce noise transmission.

Reply to
John Rumm

It won't improve thermal insulation by much; if fumes can get through then the fire barrier is compromised and laminate would be too little too late; and laminate might actually be noisier than floorboards as it can be 'clacky'.

Cheap carpet in light neutral tones throughout, tiles in the kitchen and bathroom (coordinate floor and walls) is IMHO the way to go.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Bugger all that. I put some laimate down awhile ago - took 'ken ages. Last month I had some vinyl put down - looks nice and cost a lot less

Reply to
zaax

I second that. Vinyl can look quite nice and can be bought cheaply.

Mark