UPVC Cleaner

My daughter has bought a house and the UPVC window frames and cills are a bit grimey and dull.

What is a good proprietary cleaner to bring back the whiteness. I guess I should avoid anything mildly abrasive like Cif Cream.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You should buy speacial cleaner. They sell it at the sheds and at glazing shops. Ordinary detergents can make the glazing seals go hard.

The problem is that the uPVC is quite porous & the muck/algy gets in the holes. It needs to be waxed after cleaning to seal the tiny holes. The orginal wax finish is eventually degraded by sunlight & has to be redone now & then.

Very tedious job to do it right.

Reply to
harryagain

I've used Screwfix's No Nonsense uPVC Cleaner with decent results:

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

On the contrary, T-cut or equivalent is exactly what you need to bring gloss back to plastics

Halfords is your friend here.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bond-It solvent PVCu cleaner gave good results on green tinged grime on my fascia boards ... toolsatan do an equivalent, but I've not used that

Reply to
Andy Burns

What sort of wax? Why is it so tedious? How often does it need to be re-done?

Reply to
polygonum

A silcon wax is most UV resistant. It's tedious because you have to take care to keep it off the glass as it shows streaky.

harryagain

Sandtex do one. There are others.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Cream cleaner works.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hmmm - but doesn't that have a mildly abrasive effect? Which would accumulate over the years, hastening deterioration?

I have a porch, which now, 3 years old, needs a proper clean. I'm inclined, myself, to buy a proprietary cleaner rather than screw up this extremely expensive plastic with a DIY solution (so to speak). Someone here mentioned the Everbuild stuff, which looks cheap enough, thus fulfilling two aims: purpose-made 'stuff', but not ludicrously expensive.

John

Reply to
Another John

An addendum from me: "not ludicrously expensive" only if you buy online, apparently. I went into my local Jewson's this afternoon: they have exactly the same

1lt bottle of Everbuild Solvent uPVC cleaner as sold by www.sealantsandtoolsdirect (for example). Price at the latter: ?3.95 plus carriage. Price at Jewsons: ?8.85 off the shelf. !!

John

Reply to
Another John