Unprogrammed

OT ish!

Following the set top box thread, I have regressed from the Manhattan to a re-furbed BT box. Slower but functional.

My LG TV and the BT box are both linked to broadband.

A recent morning issue, is for the TV to need retuning. Any thoughts?

The Manhattan box has several issues: records but refuses to display the second half of a film split by more than an advert break, spends inordinate amounts of time searching for the hard drive and eventually needs a factory reset plus software update:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sounds to me its either a capacitor issue or the hard drive is corrupted or on the blink. Many new devices us SSDs I believe. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message <u3ku1u$1gd74$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Bought new but is not the current version. Not something I am going to look inside. I'll get somebody with more knowledge of these things to try it out and then consider a return under warranty.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Probably no help, but last week I had to re-tune 2 Manhattan set top boxes for an elderly neighbour. The first one wouldn't show any channel but that was probably because the neighbour had been pressing buttons at random. The second came up with a 're-tune required' message on switch on. Re-tuned both TVs whilst I was there & all was good.

Reply to
wasbit

Hmm. I have abandoned the Manhattan box for the time being. Might be new owner finger trouble of course:-) The BT box is less capable but time shifts films and skips through adverts happily which is my major requirement.

I think permanent connection to the Internet can be an issue as software

*upgrades* load up overnight without asking permission.

How you are meant to use Netflix et al is beyond me!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Forgot to say that the elderly neighbour's Manhattans are not connected to the internet. The problem seemed to stem from the Manhattans requiring a re-tune before allowing any channels to be shown but I didn't look to see whether the re-tune could be bypassed.

Reply to
wasbit

A re-tune is simple. Not every switch on though!

Reply to
Tim Lamb