Self-levelling compound

I've never used this. Two questions, if I may:

Can it be used outdoors? Is there perhaps a specific weather-proof version?

Does it actually behave like water or any other sufficiently runny material? I have a shallow trench with sides of different heights: if I pour in self-levelling compound to just below the height of the lower side, will it live up to its name and settle to a perfectly level surface?

Actually, is it pourable? Or does it have to be worked to an even finish, like concrete?

Sorry, that turned out to be three questions. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

To get it level you need to agitate it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are some... e.g.

5mm to 15mm - watch the video on that page to see how to do it.

I've used "self levelling" compound with latex guaging liquidto level over our shop floor after laying a resin membrene. Lets just say "self leveling" is somewhat optimistic. Troweling lines never just slop and vanish, you trowell one out and leave another. The floor was around 45 sq. metres. The "pro's" use spiked shoes and a spiked roller which knocks back any lines and doesn't leave footprints. :) > Actually, is it pourable?  Or does it have to be worked to an even

Yes it's pourable and you might be ok if you're pouring into a trough with raised edges and at a reasonble thickness but if trying to feather into an existing surface I found there was always an edge left.

I did actually use the same stuff I did our shop floor with to smooth over my Mum & Dads' rough cement patio. Did the job for quite a few years but it was quite slippery when wet and eventually started to crack. But it wasn't an external product and the subsurface wasn't particularly "stable", hence the original cement cracking.

Oh, a fourth answer to the question not asked... even though it's thick like cream it still manages to escape into the underworld through any small hole leaving a low spot and a worm hole so make sure all cracks and holes are blocked before pouring as it WILL find them!

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Hmm. Thanks. Not quite what I was hoping for, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Not sure about that.

As others have said, it doesn't self level entirely by itself. You need to trowel and there are remnants of trowel lines, but not overly obvious depending of what you're doing afterwards.

You need to assess the minimum and maximum depth and get the compound to suit.

Reply to
Fredxx

Also buying enough to fill a trench will cost so much you might as well let someone else do it?

I'd think pouring concrete with a shot of plasticiser and a "concrete vibrator" would do what you want... rent, or from ~50 quid in the Bay.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer