Self levelling compound.

Anything I should know before I use it? I'm doing about 15sqm so I guess I'll have to work fairly quickly.

Reply to
Guy King

YES, it DOES NOT self level. No matter which brand I tried it didn't do any such thing. I was led to believe I could mix it up and pour it in then sit back. I would get a professional in unless you want to end up with a lumpy textured mess. I only did an area 15by 40 inches to a depth of 1/4inch and it was a mess. In the end I got a friend to do it and he was able to make it look OK.

Reply to
Rob

Yes,try to put it down as a thick layer depth.

I used it as a thin mebrane and it cracked here and there because it was too thin. :-(

The thicker depth you can put down the easier it is to self level,it does need a guidance of a trowling session as you lay it down though.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It says on the tin self leveling...it does do this,but it says nothing about it becoming lumpy here and there which is whats to be expected in any kind of aggregate. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

So it's better than self assembly furniture then?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I used Wickes SLC for our kitchen floor and it was a piece of weewee. Add the exact amount of water the pack asks for, whisk it up (you have got a whisk?), and pour it on. It might need a hand with a float here and there but I found it very easy to use.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

Better, I've got a swirly thing that goes on the drill. Makes mortar beautifully, so I assume it'll do SLC nicely, too. I'll have to go buy a float though - mine's vanished.

The hardest part of the job is going to be clearing the floor first - it's under piles of stuff.

Reply to
Guy King

Like dishwashers and Dyson vacuum cleaners, the clue is that the name of the product is antithetical to its actual operation.

I.e. it doesn't self level...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only marginally..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno,never tried self assembly furniture on a slope.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It will. That's what I meant.

Yuk. Sticky tiles are worse, mind.

My b-i-l mixed up the first lot we used and added too much water. "It says you only need xxx pints" I said, "It'll be alright, chuck it in" he said.

It wasn't. The kitchen floor looked like marshland the next morning. I cleaned it up and mixed the new bag as per the instructions and I was very surprised at how easy it was to put down, how well it self-levelled, and how good it looked when it was dry.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Mine did. Gave a lovely smooth, flat finish, it did. I tiled over it after a couple of days with no problems at all.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The application of the first coat (which you had to remove) may have helped reduce suction.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

Yeah, I saw the limit on the side of the bag and was just thinking of measuring out a bucket with only that in it so I can't go over.

I've got three bags full, sir, but with luck I won't need 'em all and can take them back for a refund. They're not cheap, are they?

Reply to
Guy King

This is a possibility that hadn't occurred to me.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The message from Guy King contains these words:

Well, in the end it seems to have gone quite well. There's about 2sqft I didn't manage to cover, but it's only about 2mm low. I'm not breaking open another bag of SLC just to do that, I'll make it up with adhesive. There's one ripple I didn't spot, a trowel mark which, unlike all the rest, didn't flatten itself out. I'll grind it flat in the morning.

Reply to
Guy King

Good man. Wasn't hard, was it? :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

Not terribly. I've not got a perfect finish, but it's good enough.

Reply to
Guy King