Cutting top small box

I am in the process of building a 12"X8"X 5" rectangular box. I want the finished box to have a hinged lid that is the same size as the rest of the box. I am aware of the technique of building the top attached to the top at the time the box is glued together and then using the table saw to saw the lid apart form the rest of the box. My question is can a bandsaw be used to saw the top off of the box. What is the advantages of the table saw over the bandsaw in doing this. What are the disadvantages in using the bandsaw to perform this operation. It appears to me that the bandsaw would be safer than the table saw.

Reply to
Joe Nation

"Joe Nation" wrote in news:3fba31f4 snipped-for-privacy@news.wcc.net:

The last issue of American Woodworker covered this box construction technique. They used the table saw to open the box. I think they had a good solution.

Set the table saw to cut deep enough to cut through the thickness of the side of the box and cut through the opposite sides of the box. Then add some 1/8" thick spacer wood to the openings just cut and tape them in place. Then cut the two remaining sides. The box stays fairly solid during the entire operation.

DMP

Reply to
David Patnaude

The bandsaw will be fine. I use it because it cuts a smaller kerf, which makes for better matching between the top & bottom. After you cut the first third stop and tape little wedges in place to hold the kerf open, and the cut portion together. You do not want to cut portion to move around at all. It is dangerous, and can damaged the finished box.

Good luck - Bob McBreen

Reply to
RWM

The tablesaw method allows you to cut _almost_ deep enough, so you finish the job with a blade, and the fence/blade combination produces a more accurate cut than the bandsaw, which always seems to have some big coarse blade on it at my house.

Reply to
George

Joe,

I make quite a few boxes, jewelry, etc. I use the table saw and set the blade 1/16" shy of going through the sides. Then I use a small handsaw (Dozuki) to finish the cut. A slight a amount of sanding on the cut and you have a perfect fit. Not my idea, I learned it from Doug Stowe who has some pretty darn good books on making boxes.

Good luck, Al in rainy Longview, WA

Reply to
Al in WA

Just watch out for bandsaw blade drift. The table saw will be more likely to give you a perfectly straight cut.

woodstrapper

Reply to
woodstrapper