TOY BOX

I had thought I had posted this earlier, but when I went to look for it, to make some additional comments, it wasn't there. On the other hand, the other post may still show up in a day or two.

Normally I don't care for lids on toy boxes for little kids, for several reasons. But, the idea of two lids is neat. For little kids, you can just leave them open all the time, and they can get toys out, or dunk them back in easily.

I would not use metal corner braces as shown in the plan. You could use glue blocks, which would be better, or glue a strip the length of the join, which I prefer. I did one like that, with strips, maybe 6 years ago, and it's still holding up great - Titebond II, and just a few brads to hold everything aligned, until the glue set. The only thing I wish I handn't done, was paint the sides dark blue. I feel I probably had more colors than just that on hand, so I have no idea why dark blue. I'd repaint it, but the grand-dau won't give it up.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

I just built a knotty pine toybox with box-jointed, 3/8" rounded corners, child's name hand carved in front surrounded by rectangular ogee rout with

1" radiused corners . Lid is Birch ply edged with pine trim, piano hinged with spring-loaded lid support that holds the lid in any position. It turned out quite nice. If I had a way to host pics, I'd post a link.

I built one of these 13 years ago with the same lid support, still works like new.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Shaw

Thu, Jul 22, 2004, 11:16am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@direcway.com (Jerry=A0Shaw) says: Lid is Birch ply edged with pine trim, piano hinged with spring-loaded lid support that holds the lid in any position.

Among the various reasons I don't like lids on toy boxes for small kids, you get two kids, if possible, one is going to slam the lid on the other's fingers. Another reason, two kids, one is gonna get in the toy box, and the other is goina sit on the lid, and not let the other out.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:7435-410035FA-232@storefull-

3152.bay.webtv.net:

That sounds like the voice of experience speaking...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Among the various reasons I don't like lids on toy boxes for small kids, you get two kids, if possible, one is going to slam the lid on the other's fingers.

True, but that could happen with kitchen cabs, closet doors, etc.,. But point taken, there is likely to be more horsing around with a toy box.

Another reason, two kids, one is gonna get in the toy box, and the other is goina sit on the lid, and not let the other out.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

My design has large oval holes in the sides for handles (rounded over, of course). When my buddy saw it, he said, "Ah, air holes!" He told me of the time when his daughter hid in a toy box waiting for her parents to come home so she could surprise them. She fell asleep in the box before they got home, and they were about ready to call the police when they finally found her, still asleep, hyperventilating, sweating profusely.

But again, point taken. You can't be too careful when designing for children

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Shaw

There's also the fear factor. When I was a kid I had two toyboxes, one with a simple, light, flat lid and the other with a larger, much heavier framed lid. That heavy lid scared the crap out of me--it probably weighed half what I did, and, because when open it protruded several inches past the back of the box, it tended to close unexpectedly if the box got pushed against the wall, and when it closed it did so with a certain finality. My parents never could figure out why I wouldn't put my toys in the new box and being a kid it never occurred to me to do anything so silly as admit that it scared me.

Reply to
J. Clarke