Unknown blade

Anyone recognise this?

It's 11 inches long and used to have a wooden handle.

Reply to
Major Scott

I would guess that it's 11" inches long *now* but used to be longer. It looks like it would have had a long handle too. Can't really guess what it would have been for though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Not sure what you mean, the metal part doesn't look like it's lost any of it. And the stamp has the number 11 in a box.

Reply to
Major Scott

Can you make out what the lettering on the blade says?

When you say it had a wooden handle, I presume, from the fact that the blade is socketed to fit on a shaft, that it would have been a relatively long handle. Do you have any idea of how long?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The number 11 in a square on the right of the inscription (which I took to refer to the blade length of 11 inches).

And on the left of the inscription I can see what I think is "OHNS" in the middle of a word, which could be "JOHNSON"?

I have no idea of the shaft length. There is some wood left, inside the socket. The wood has broken off at the end of the socket.

Reply to
Major Scott

Hedging 'knife' ?

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

I don't think it would be intended to cut meat etc against a block because of the curved blade. It could be something used for hedging.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I was rather more interested in the bit to the left of that, which looks a bit like a maker's mark.

It could simply be OHNS - Oil Hardening Non-shrinking Steel - an old-fashioned description for a type of steel used for edged cutting tools.

My guess would be that it could be a slasher: a blade mounted on a handle about four feet long and used for cutting down brush and scrub.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

This is a hedging knife and it doesn't look quite like that:

Major Scott

Not sure what that is, if anyone is familiar with them, they could perhaps read it:

Perhaps, although I thought I could see one character to the left and two to the right which are illegible.

Reply to
Major Scott

yes. It looks lie a billhook machete minus the hook.

curved blades are used in the kitchen, but thats between a chopper and a knife.

is close

Other poss. is butchery

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The socket for the handle suggests something long. Short handled blades more usually have a tang.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It'll definitely do for beating someone up that's for sure.

Reply to
Major Scott

However I fear that may depend, rather a lot, on where in the country you (or the blade) derives from.

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

If you browse this site

you will see several very similar blades, all described simply as "slasher blades"

Reply to
news

good point

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fair enough. I just though the blade tip looked like it had been broken off because of the angles. You're better placed obviously to see whether it looks broken (and maybe re-ground) or has always been that shape.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think it came from the North of England.

Reply to
Major Scott

It doesn't look broken. Unless it was broken and reground a long time ago. That edge looks the same as the rest of it.

Reply to
Major Scott

By Jove, I think I've got it:

J.