Unknown blade

Maybe on Whales to slit into the blubber?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Number 1130? Skinner and Johnson Slasher? That does fit with the Johnson I can read on it.

Reply to
Major Scott

Yep; I've definitely seen that type of thing in old garden sheds.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

My guess too; unless it was a flensing knife?

Reply to
newshound

Yes I can see how the manufacturer stacks up but has the shape been altered?

Reply to
ss

I am having a bad night I didnt see the pics at the right of screen at first, I scrolled down and just saw the hooked ones :-(

Reply to
ss

Yes, it looks like a standard long handled slasher with the hook ground off. I've still got a couple, we used them for cutting bramble on footpaths and bridleways, and knew them as "horsetrippers", before brush cutters became widely available in the 70s.

AJH

Reply to
news

Could be a hay/hedging knife?

Reply to
harry

Flensing knife? (Cutting up whales)

Reply to
harry

In message , Another John writes

Having seen those prices, I must furbish up my pile of bygones:-)

The long Yorkshire performed best for trimming overhanging branches but perhaps too heavy for a long days work.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Something like this is better:

I dunno if that particular one is any good, but that's the kind of thing I mean.

Reply to
Major Scott

Depends what you want it for. I have one of these...

which I use for pruning the odd overhead tree branch. With my height I can get up to about 5m.

And I have a slasher I inherited, which is great for things like clearing brambles & chopping small trees down. I'm sure my dad called it a brushwood cutter, but these days that seems to be a power tool.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I wasn't looking closely, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, did my example not extend?

I prefer anything with a motor on it.

Reply to
Major Scott

Yes. But that's the model I have, and I can tell you it works - not that it's had very heavy use.

It was free...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The large socket for the handle would indicate it was meant to be used two handed. My guess would be for trimming a hay/barley/corn stack. Not the small hay stacks that would be seen in a field but the much larger ones in the farm yard.

Failing that some sort of a hedging tool.

Reply to
fred

Post it on this blokes page.

F Murtz

Hmm...

Slasher Billhooks Hay knives Scythe (proper one with curved wooden shaft!) Sickle

I could be onto a good thing too

David

Reply to
David P

So was my unknown blade. Doesn't seem to be worth much but I'll do it up (sharpen it and add a new handle) just for a laugh.

Reply to
Major Scott

Never done here. Our reaper/binder had a vibrating board to align the cut ends of the sheaf before the string was knotted. In the yard, the stack would start building from the middle of the base such that each sheaf placed *ears in* would incline towards the edge and shed water. The thatching also overhung by several inches and was trimmed using hand sheep shears.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've got something very like this in the shed.

It's got a wooden handle around 2 to 2 1/2 feet long, and embossed into the blade is the name...

"Quickslash".

I did try it on an overgrown hedge, but the blade & balance don't work on thicker stems, so I think that "brush-cutter" is about the best description.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet