Ungrateful Bastards

So how do you charge the time taken to obtain parts, the time spent on admin for that supplier account and so on?

Do you just mark up your labour to cover these hidden costs?

No such an obvious argument is it?

Reply to
Tim Watts

But do you find the cheapest hotel to stay in for an area or just take the offered by the nearest Hilton? Do you charge your mileage at fuel only?

If you don't find the cheapest deal(s) for *all* your expenses you are just being a hypocrite.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Loads:-)

You would be surprised how many empty houses I have worked in where a neighbour makes a brew for the lads.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

How much does that put on your bills? 8-)

Round here I even offer coffee if you're just working outside the house, let alone doing something for me. That coffee has brought me a couple of downed trees and several lengths of cable.

I must be hated by tradesmen. If you want a hot drink in my house you have to bring it yourself.

I don't drink the stuff so there is none in the house (though I do have a kettle)

tim

Reply to
tim....

In France, the workmen are not used to frequent tea breaks, but they do like their proper lunch.

When I've gone to pay the bills of some tradesmen, I've been plied with the occasional 'aperitif'. It makes the transaction easier John

Reply to
JTM

Neither tea nor coffee you mean? Don't you have hot drinks at your place?

Nothing to stop you keeping some in for the purpose - and for visitors in general.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Feel free to re-use: "I give my best price first time every time, there really isn't any room for negotiation. I feel that's the fairest way for everybody."

Actually a variation of how I used to ask for quotes for suppliers in industry, "best price, first time, every time". It was surprising how many could not understand the concept.

Btw Adam, LOL, empty pre-payment meter, HA!

Reply to
fred

Hahahahahahaha.

So how were you expected to 'fix' that fault? Lend them a tenner, or some 'imaginative' pipework?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They had put some credit on but the boiler had gone into lockout. They were obviously too lazy to go and press the reset button.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

Yes, because mad axe wielding psycho maniacs are so common in Tesco these days. What the f*ck is it with people in towns these days? In rural areas, you'd have a flurry of hands wanting the lift.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Do you?

How on earth do you know you are getting the best price, first time, unless you test it?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So next time you can stay in the van and just send the five-year-old in to fix it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Maybe that should have been sussed during the initial phone call?

Reply to
stuart noble

A now retired former builder mate of mine has developed a long repertoire of lines for getting cups of tea... I recall him pausing while sawing a bit of wood, and saying to the lady of the house, what letter comes after "S"? T came the reply, to which he said oh thanks, milk one sugar please!

Reply to
John Rumm

So you lose money on every transaction... hmm smart one.

And what about your time procuring stock to sell on to customers, your overheads in storing, transporting, and dealing with any warranty claims on said stock?

Nonsense.

If you are supplying goods to customers at a price below which they can buy them for themselves in those quantities, and at the same time making sufficient margin on each sale to cover your incidental costs and liabilities, then it would seem you are not only operating ethically, but also sustainably.

Reply to
John Rumm

Easier said than done when the customer has no intentions of doing anything for themselves.

Whilst messing about they had also lost the RF signal between the programmer and the receiver.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No one is overcharging anyone.

Presumably by expenses you mean travel, accomodation etc?

At what hourly rate?

Of course it can be denied. Do garages supply parts & consumables at their cost prices? Do appliance repair guys supply parts at cost price?

Its not 'overcharging' its sensible & acceptable business practice.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

She may be a member of the Temperance movement and expects him to get a Pint of Milk.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I've got this problem with a customer, or maybe it's the thermostat. The remote Thermostat is calling for heat, but the receiver at the boiler is not receiving the signal, so doesnt start up. When the reset button is pressed on the remote thermostat, all is well again.

I've left it unplugged now, but it will have to be sorted sometime - any clues on what to do? The Thermostat is a Salus RT500, new a few weeks ago. It doesnt have a good reputation if googled, so maybe it is just a crap thermostat. Not really my problem, as I wired it up for a plumber, but it will need to be fixed if possible, as it is a rented house.

Aaln.

Reply to
A.Lee

Not at home no.

I tried that

It goes stale (and you still need the milk!)

tim

Reply to
tim....