Ungrateful Bastards

I got a call this morning from a building firm I work with about a customer with no HW or CH.

As it was Sunday morning and I live local to the job (everyone else is at least 20 miles away) the owner of the firm called me and asked if I would nip round for a quick look.

I went round and fixed the fixed the problem. However I was looking after my girlfriend's 5 year old lad at the time so I took him with me.

The ungrateful bastards later phoned the company back to tell them I was unprofessional by taking a child to work with me. That phone call moved them from a "free courtesy call out" to a "billed call out" as they could have fixed the problem themselves. With a bit of luck they will get the bill on Tuesday morning:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well done that man, bloody cheeky scrotes!

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Your description of the clients was most restrained.

Hope the bill is seriously large and you get most of it.

lol!

Reply to
Ericp

Did you spend the 30 seconds it would take to explain that to the customer?

Of course taking kids out on jobs is unprofessional, so you need to explain that you are only offering to do that as a favour to them. I guess you are a brilliant plumber who could benefit from a brief course in bedside manner.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Looks like you could do with a course. Adam is an electrician.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I would have thought this was obvious? - it's real life not a monty python sketch - he's hardly likely to turn up riding a zebra and wearing a clown costume without explanation

Yes, the customer is always right, except when they're arrogant, snobbish, ungratelfull tosspots, which sadly seems to be the norm these days rather than the exception

Reply to
Phil L

Wife phoned our tame local plumber yesterday and he phoned back last night to find out about the problem we had. (Leaking feed pipe to toilet cistern.)

To cut the story short, he cut the copper pipe before the bends and fitted a flexible one and fitted a replacement ball valve assembly, that I supplied.

When I asked what he wanted for the job, he just said give me £20-00. I'm going to give him £25-00 and tell him to buy himself a drink.

What with all this cold weather, I expected him to say that he couldn't fit the job in till after Christmas, or the new year.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

:-)

Thanks for the correction.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Anyone with an ounce of common sense, would have been delighted to see someone qualified at such short notice to dig them out of the crap and willingly occupied the child, whilst the man was busy, even if only in the selfish hope of minimising the bill. Pompous and stupid to boot.

Reply to
Andy Cap

I have an old lady customer who gives me a cheque for the bill, then press's a £1 coin into my hand saying "get yourself a pint on the way home" :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I never spoke to the customers before I arrived there. The owner of the firm had gone through a checklist of possible solutions with the customers before phoning me. I apologised to the customers when I arrived about having to bring a 5 year old with me.

What really got my back up was

  1. The customers were nice and polite to my face but stuck the knife in when my back was turned.
  2. They were a pair of liars. They had not worked through the checklist with the owner of the firm when they were on the phone. They just wanted someone to come out and fix the fault for free.
  3. Was I offered a brew? No
  4. Why the hell should I have to apologise for turning up on a Sunday morning to fix an easy fault (a fault caused by the customer)?
Reply to
ARWadsworth

I let an elderly neighbour benefit from my outside light to see to get to her electric scooter. She kept insisting on paying for the electricity. I told her it was probably something like a pound - so she dug one out and wouldn't let me leave without it :)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Hi Tony

Of course any regular reader of his newsgroup would already know that I have spent many hours this winter and the last one helping people out (present and ex customers) with frozen condensate pipes for free.

For the record my bedside manner is impeccable.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My thanks and my sympathies.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

They are not needed. Keep them for yourself.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Why not - old enough to carry things and cheaper than a mate.

And fits under the floorboards easier.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Anthony R. Gold" saying something like:

Oh, I doubt if his bedside manner is a problem, the amount of legover he gets.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

How much does that put on your bills? 8-)

Round here I even offer coffee if you're just working outside the house, let alone doing something for me. That coffee has brought me a couple of downed trees and several lengths of cable.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

She must be very old, bless her. It's the thought that counts.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Why not - old enough to carry things and cheaper than a mate.

And fits under the floorboards easier.

Owain

Slightly off topic but re ungrateful.... The other day during the massive freeze up my wife had to go to Tesco for some stuff. When she came out there was a queue for taxis about 50 long and very few taxis, so.... she goes to a few people asking " do you live near such and such"

3 times she was rudely told " the taxi queue is that end! and theres a queue"!

She eventually shouted out (which is the truth) if nobody wants a fekcin lift for free then ok. And walked back to her car.

It seems you cant help anybody these days or they complain.

Reply to
SS