Can this really work? - Stump Removal

See link for the suggestion.

I sort of wish I'd left the stump a little longer and bought a winch, but the thought of the chain whizzing past my head or damaging the anchor tree did not turn me on. So I decided to go the digging out root (ha-ha). This is looking like a 10+ hour job including the shed hole, only two hours invested so far. Although I'm nowhere near exposing enough of the stump to get under the tree. It's been insert shovel, use grub-axe to break roots, remove half a shovel of dirt. I have to remove about 3 cubic yards for the shed hole and I've only move about .5 yards so far. The stump is now too short to winch it out, but some pressure might help me expose the roots to help with the excavation?

Trees are two spruce trees about 8" in diameter, but I suspect they share a common root. Site is not accessible by vehicle, dynamite is not an option, waiting is not an option. The stump is about 16" above ground and must be excavated to 10" below grade. Possible anchor tree is a Mountain Ash about

12" in diameter.
Reply to
Bill Stock

I would bet against it; if you can get a jack under it, you are almost done anyhow.

I dug out a 4" pine tree once. Damn it was a lot of work. Good luck with your two 8"ers.

Reply to
Toller

Are you allowed to burn in your neighborhood? You can burn it down.

Other than that, rent a stump grinder.

Reply to
"Fat Tony" D'Amico

I was going to say that you should soak the area around the tree and any important roots with water, an hour or two with a garden hose, before doing this.

But it occurred to me that maybe that would let the boards sink into the ground as much as it would let the stump and roots come up. I don't think so, but I'm not sure. Of course , if this was the case you could always wait a few days until it dried out.

Wetting it would also make digging out the hole for the wood easier.

I'm also going to suggest that rather than plywood, you could consider two 2x4s, one for each side. The wheels of the jack don't actually have to sit on the wood. Even one 2x4 might be enough at first to start it and make room for more wood.

Oh, yeah. Floor jacks are very powerful, so it might work. The poster says it worked for him.

P.S. I've done very little of this.

Reply to
mm

why do you have to have the stump 10 inches below grade, easier to cut off just below grade and cover with dirt. spruce rots really slow, sinking will be minimal and very slow...........

Reply to
hallerb

What is your time worth? Instead of looking at a ball busting 12 hour job, I'd call the local tree removal company and have them grind the 2 stumps. If you're in no real hurry and tell them they can do it anytime in the next X weeks, you may get a better price.

Reply to
trader4

If you could rent one these or something similar.

-- Oren

Oren

I selected a Royal vacuum cleaner after seeing the maids in every hotel I stayed at use them. I don't know about the current models but when I bought the Royal I own, it was made of cast aluminum with no plastic parts. No expensive paper filter bags necessary. Ergo, low operating cost. Just keep a spare drive belt at hand and you're in business. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Ooops! Sorry, I posted to the wrong topic. Belonged one line down. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Duh.. :-))

Reply to
"Fat Tony" D'Amico

why do you have to have the stump 10 inches below grade, easier to cut off just below grade and cover with dirt. spruce rots really slow, sinking will be minimal and very slow...........

The shed floor will be patio stones, so the 10" is for 6" of gravel + 2" Limestome screenings + 2" Stones.

Most of the hole is dug out now, except for the stumps of course. I was thinking of taking the pressure washer to the roots to expose them, should make a fine mess. Plan B would be to drag the dust collector out of the basement. Since it's got a chip bucket very little dirt would go through the impeller.

Reply to
Bill Stock

ha-ha is right. Digging up by hand is an old-fashioned job to say it politely. Digging can get old fast depending on how much you are paid, ha-ha. I use a skidsteer to dig up my stumps and even with a heavy machine it can be a tough job. Patience is your friend. When you get tired or frustrated, take a break. The stump will be there when you get back.

I have finally acheived the confidence that I can remove any stump. I admit that I have a decent machine but even so....I don't try to pop the stump out until several of the larger roots have been completely severed. You also have to actually dig underneath the stump to lift it or jack it out. Only when you find the bottom of the thing can you justify the effort of lifting or jacking.

So, once one of the larger roots are exposed you should continue digging around that root until you are able to severe it completely by whatever means necessary, axe or saw. Only then can you justify moving on to another large root.

Then, only after several of the larger roots have been completely severed can you justify attempting to get underneath the stump to lift or jack it out. Yanking and pulling with a winch or come-a-long is OK but only works well for smaller trees, those that are well rotted, or those whose main lateral roots have already been severed.

Reply to
Lawrence

I've posted this several times already. REmoving the stump is an afternoon of drinking beer. SERIOUS. Find one spot that is easy to dig around the stump and dig it down as far as you like, then take a pressure washer or hose and wash the dirt around the stumpo into that hole. Dig the hole out again. Repeat until the stump is clean and dirt free. Now grab the chain saw and cut. I've removed several this way.

Reply to
HotRdd

I dunno. YOu could remove the stump by vacuming all the dirt from around the roots.

Reply to
Goedjn

Never seen that done but I like the idea. My soil is badass clay and I can only dig when it is bone dry. Hosing it down would turn the soil to muck, I"m guessing. Somone with better soil would have an easier time no matter what.

Reply to
Lawrence

Termites. Get some termites.

Reply to
GWB

Thanks,

Water seems to be the majority favourite. The Stump Sump makes even more sense, as it gives the extra dirt somewhere to go.

Reply to
Bill Stock

The only time I pulled a stump, I used a sawzall and a lot of blades. Took a lot more time than I expected. Lot of root. Chainsaws are useless, the chains go dull instantly. I used a come along to the bumper of the van, and pulled out the rest of what was left.

A combination of things might help. Winch to tilt the stump, and expose roots.

If fire is an option, drill plenty of holes, and use a shop vac to draw or blow the sawdust out. Let the stump dry for a couple days, and burn it out with kerosene. After the stump starts burning, use the shop vac as a blower, to make a blast furnace, and burn it out faster.

I've heard of drilling the stump, and then pack with powdered milk. Speeds the decay.

In any case, please write again after the stump is out. Let us know what worked for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon