Bastards

Van done over again.
This time is the hand tools inc drill bits that are gone.
Just spent £600 and still only seem to have half of what I need. The drill bits were expensive.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

You need a sticker for the back doors ...
"A hungry cat guards tools left in this van overnight"
<
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Toby1.jpeg

On 19/05/2019 10:13, Andy Burns wrote:

Middle of the afternoon. And a member of the public called the police as it happened. Even gave them the number plate of the car he was driving.
--
Adam

Romanian plates ?
On 19/05/2019 12:00, ARW wrote:

Local Sainsburys lost 60+ bottles of expensive spirits in two separate heists, when they just loaded up a trolley, and walked out.
The alarms went off but the limited staff on duty at the time were threatened, so backed off.
On Sun, 19 May 2019 12:00:20 +0100, ARW

That's nice. It will give plod a pleasant change from not finding murderers to not finding tool thieves.
I hope your washer bottles are full, tyres good and properly inflated.
Did the member of the public have witnesses, it may be important if he phoned in from a mobile.
He could "lose the sim" and plead memory loss if he wants to avoid the points for using a mobile when driving :-)
AB
On 19/05/2019 13:02, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

It is legal to use a mobile while driving if calling 999 and it is not safe to stop. I have also heard, but don't have evidence, that it is legal if you are continuing driving so as to continue to report their position.
SteveW
On Sun, 19 May 2019 17:06:59 +0100, Steve Walker

Construction and Use Regulation 110(5) would appear to cover the situation: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2695/regulation/2/made
(5) A person does not contravene a provision of this regulation if, at the time of the alleged contravention—
(a) he is using the telephone or other device to call the police, fire, ambulance or other emergency service on 112 or 999; (b) he is acting in response to a genuine emergency; and (c) it is unsafe or impracticable for him to cease driving in order to make the call (or, in the case of an alleged contravention of paragraph (3)(b), for the provisional licence holder to cease driving while the call was being made).
On 19/05/2019 17:37, Scott wrote:

Thanks. I didn't think to look under construction and use - it seems an odd place for it ... they may as well include the whole of the Highway Code in it if they are going to cover such specifics!
SteveW
On Mon, 20 May 2019 10:05:13 +0100, Steve Walker

I've always thought a surprising amount of content is 'relegated' to C&U Regs.
On 19/05/2019 17:06, Steve Walker wrote:

When I asked, a copper told me that yes, you can dial 999 if circumstances dictate, and then you take direction from the call handler.
Wish I'd known as I was following a pisshead up the A21 weaving from side to side (no where to stop at all, not even a verge). It was in fact that which prompted the query.
--
Email does not work

ARW wrote:

No alarm?
ARW wrote:

You will of course be insured?
On 19/05/2019 20:55, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Some policies don't cover tools left in a van.
Plus a claim might well cost more than the £600 or so taking into account the hike in premiums for a few years. Finally, what's the value of a second hand drill bit.
On Sunday, 19 May 2019 22:11:12 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:

Naff all.
But the cost of a new one to replace it ...
Owain
On 19/05/2019 22:21, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

That is my point, where most insurance policies only pay out on value or the book loss, not the true cost of replacing tools and accessories.
Adam does seem to be especially unlucky. I wonder what sign-writing Adam's van has and if this makes the contents more attractive?
I'm also wondering if a few cameras, dummy or real, could be placed around the van!
On Sun, 19 May 2019 22:39:11 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

It always used to be "new lamps for old" meaning you got the money to buy a new replacement of a used item. Is that no longer the case?
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

On 19/05/2019 23:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I've only seen new for old in household contents insurance.
There may well be new for old insurance for van contents but not something I've seen.
On 19/05/2019 22:39, Fredxx wrote:

I think that I have been especially unlucky. But shit happens. I win more than I lose.
The last time the van was opened there were no power tools in it and they left the hand tools. The bloke directly across from the gf's house had all his power tools pinched 10 minutes after they had opened my van. Six vans were done (to my knowledge) in the village that night.
And I know how he got in this time. I can now open a Fiat or Peugeot van back and side doors in 3 seconds without a key.
The police have not yet got back to me or to the lad who watched the break in and took the thief's cars details and called the police.
--
Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk says...

It would be interesting to see what effect it had on sales if that became public knowledge on a national scale.

They're probably too busy making obscene sums of money from speeding fines.
I didn't know until recently that the fines (Min. £100) are now related to income. The example given for someone on the average wage was 50% of a weeks wages.
--

Terry