Bastards

When I asked, a copper told me that yes, you can dial 999 if circumstances dictate, and then you take direction from the call handler.

Wish I'd known as I was following a pisshead up the A21 weaving from side to side (no where to stop at all, not even a verge). It was in fact that which prompted the query.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If the van is on his drive then nobody should be near it.

It was worse when there was hanging for theft.

Reply to
billj

People were desperate back then. They may have been starving. No such excuse today.

Reply to
harry

Postman, meter reader, etc.

Reply to
dennis

Tha was because so many people had too little to eat, they were and their families going to die anyway so why not die while trying to feed yourself and family, so it's hardly a fair comparision.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No one was ever hanged for stealing because they were starving then.

Reply to
billj

I've only seen new for old in household contents insurance.

There may well be new for old insurance for van contents but not something I've seen.

Reply to
Fredxx

I think that I have been especially unlucky. But shit happens. I win more than I lose.

The last time the van was opened there were no power tools in it and they left the hand tools. The bloke directly across from the gf's house had all his power tools pinched 10 minutes after they had opened my van. Six vans were done (to my knowledge) in the village that night.

And I know how he got in this time. I can now open a Fiat or Peugeot van back and side doors in 3 seconds without a key.

The police have not yet got back to me or to the lad who watched the break in and took the thief's cars details and called the police.

Reply to
ARW

It would be interesting to see what effect it had on sales if that became public knowledge on a national scale.

They're probably too busy making obscene sums of money from speeding fines.

I didn't know until recently that the fines (Min. £100) are now related to income. The example given for someone on the average wage was 50% of a weeks wages.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Maybe but the police don't get a penny, it all goes to the tax fund.

Reply to
dennis

Are points added or deducted to your license when you get caught speeding?

First line of this?

ARW

Added. Banned at 12.

I feel that the whole system is somewhat unfair (despite never having had a speeding ticket). It is far more likely that a high mileage driver will make a mistake, miss a sign and misjudge speed limit on unfamiliar roads, than an pensioner who never travels outside the area that they have lived in for years. The impact of a ban on a worker who needs to drive, even moreso for someone who is self-employed is also far greater than for said pensioner.

I think that a system to protect people's employment should be in place, maybe a longer ban, but allowing driving to, from or for work, but not for other purposes.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, it should be based on risk and nuisance.

Doing 60 in a 40 mph zone at 4.00am when there is no other traffic and no surrounding properties should be "overlooked"

Doing the same speed where the noise disturbs residents isn't on and should involve a penaly.

The trouble is, someone has to apply judgement and common sense. Most councils didn't apply common sense when applying the limits in the first place.

Shall we have a nice cheap "blanket" obey the rules and get screwed if you dont, or go to individual judgements which will be dammned expensive and provide solicitors with a nice income too.

Speeding wont be possible soon, you will have to book roads in advance so there is enough room reserved to allow the limit to be exeeded.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Might you have a claim against your employer for failing to provide a reasonably secure van - or even against the manufacturer?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Current 'community based sentencing' hardly seems a deterrent:

Those on CPOs have also given their views, with the report quoting one as saying: ?I?ve enjoyed the experience.

The report cited another offender adding: ?Supervisors have been sound, and all the boys. It?s been good.?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I just accept speeding tickets as part of life.

About one every 2 to 3 years.

There is no mistake. I am speeding most of the time.

Only been done twice in a 30MPH limit. Once when the police were just lying bastards (they were playing snooker and needed a blue car next IMHO) and 10 yards from a 40MPG to 30MPH speed limit change (called Scamera vans for a reason).

I really do not have any problems with the rest of my speeding tickets.

Reply to
ARW

I have been lucky. I've been driving for 35 years, covering a minimum of

16,000 miles a year for almost all of them and often a lot more - one year I did 57,000 miles!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker