Bastards

Cor blimey.

Perhaps next time the boss should try shopping here

There's a Mercedes Vario that looks quite useful.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That's another idea.

Electricians have nice tools to nick.

Re-logo all the vehicles as "Septic tank emptying. Warning: this vehicle contains sludge."

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

My money is on apocryphal. Camper van tanks drain by gravity so the valves are low down and look nothing like a fuel filler. I could believe it on a canal boat though. Fuel/water/waste fillers/emptiers often look similar and are all located at the same height.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It is legal to use a mobile while driving if calling 999 and it is not safe to stop. I have also heard, but don't have evidence, that it is legal if you are continuing driving so as to continue to report their position.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That was definitely a newspaper report not that long ago.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Construction and Use Regulation 110(5) would appear to cover the situation:

(5) A person does not contravene a provision of this regulation if, at the time of the alleged contravention?

(a) he is using the telephone or other device to call the police, fire, ambulance or other emergency service on 112 or 999; (b) he is acting in response to a genuine emergency; and (c) it is unsafe or impracticable for him to cease driving in order to make the call (or, in the case of an alleged contravention of paragraph (3)(b), for the provisional licence holder to cease driving while the call was being made).

Reply to
Scott

Actually it's a stupid idea, unless you keep the van indoors and dry.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

What a way to live. When I left the last rented house I lived in I could not find the keys for the doors. I realised in the hunt that I had not locked any door in the last four years. The good news is that I found them, in the loft, locked the doors and left.

Reply to
misterroy

About half past three...

Reply to
mistertoy

You will of course be insured?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

+1.

We would almost certainly have hanged some of the "pub bombers" who turned out to be innocent.

That said, I believe it's been shown that each hanging does prevent somewhere between 2 and 8 murders.

Reply to
newshound

Pity that you cannot turn it into a person trap like on bait car in the states. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It exposed a chain of assumptions that if a person is suspected they ar guilty, with each step of the process consolidating that belief, even to the point wher the forensics were fiddled to achieve results.

It happens now in other areas. You just wouldn't believe how the results from a project can be manipulated and fiddled simply because they dont match the erronious values that were presented for years :-)

That isn't a trial result left to the judgement of 12 citizens, this is the result of a project that is based on quantifiable repeatable measurements.

After seeing the methodology It did cross my mind that there must be a hell of a lot of innocent people in prison. It also told me that I was working for the wrong company!!

I don't work for a fly by night company incidentally, I deal with projects that have a direct impact on the well being of a considerable proportion of the population.

AB

Yes. The US is well into the negatives on murder rates then?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

In another life when I went around the publics houses repairing TV's, a customer showed me his security system.

It was a 25cm square grid with llong thin evil looking spikes sticking up into the air, this he placed on the drivers seat of his car, with a false "cushion" on top to hide the spikes.

Not sure if I convinced him, but I did suggest that if he had a fire or there were other problems an innocent person might experience the effect of his security, when trying to shift the car from the front of the house.

I'm tempted to look him up, it was a few years back, but I hear 'Liz is in the market for such a device and it would look good with the "by appointment" logo.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Some policies don't cover tools left in a van.

Plus a claim might well cost more than the £600 or so taking into account the hike in premiums for a few years. Finally, what's the value of a second hand drill bit.

Reply to
Fredxx

Naff all.

But the cost of a new one to replace it ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That is my point, where most insurance policies only pay out on value or the book loss, not the true cost of replacing tools and accessories.

Adam does seem to be especially unlucky. I wonder what sign-writing Adam's van has and if this makes the contents more attractive?

I'm also wondering if a few cameras, dummy or real, could be placed around the van!

Reply to
Fredxx

AKA Confirmation Bias. See here:

Reply to
Tim Streater

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

It always used to be "new lamps for old" meaning you got the money to buy a new replacement of a used item. Is that no longer the case?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom