Uneven Floor

Our upstairs hall floor is uneven - a mixture of floorboards running across it which have been cut and lifted and some patching with chipboard flooring. We want to carpet this area with underlay and I am thinking about lining it first with thin ply or hardboard. Which would be best/easiest? I have used ply at a previous house but need something thin and easy here. Any views/experiences?

Thanks

Harry

Reply to
Harry Ziman

Sir

Why not redoo the floor boards ?

The ply will "wave", unless you put it on thick, and if ever need to get under the floor, when it has ply on, where do you cut ?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

floor, when it has ply on, where do you cut ? You could hardboard it. Cut a little undersize then wet it thoroughly. Use 3/4 tacks so you don't hit anything. But really, I doubt you need anything if you are going to use underlay. That stuff covers a multitude of sins.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Replace the floorboards? Ones patched like this usually squeak and drive one IMM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hardboard is normally fine, but used for covering poor floors rather than remedying differences in level. Are you talking about using it on the chipboard (or boards) only, as spacing?

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Thanks for all the comments.

Relaying the boards as boards is a lot more work - they all run across the hallway and would need to be cut. Further, the ends of the new ones would not be supported due to the way the joists and pipes run and there is no easy way around this.

Reply to
Harry Ziman