Raising Bathroom floor on existing joists and floorboards

We have just stripped out our old exisiting bath suite. (All was leaking). We are rearranging the location of bath, sink and loo to accomodate new suite.

The bathroom is quite small, and to be able to hide soil, waste and copper pipes the walls would need to be built out.

If we raised the floor by 20cms this would hide all pipes. (The existing floor is joists and floorboards. The old bath suite had a cast iron bath, so can take weight.)

How do we do this?

Reply to
Lisa Bates

The easiest way will be to fix some bearers, say 50x75, across the existing joists (i.e following the line of the floorboards) at

900-1200c/s and then 50x100 joists above them at right angles. You can then run pipes under the floor in either direction without notching. Finish with moisture resisting chipboard or ply.

If you need to lose a WC branch within the floor adjust the sizes accordingly.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

|On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 02:16:39 +0800 Lisa Bates wrote : |> If we raised the floor by 20cms this would hide all pipes. |> (The existing floor is joists and floorboards. The old bath |> suite had a cast iron bath, so can take weight.) |> |> How do we do this? | |The easiest way will be to fix some bearers, say 50x75, across the |existing joists (i.e following the line of the floorboards) at |900-1200c/s and then 50x100 joists above them at right angles. You |can then run pipes under the floor in either direction without |notching. Finish with moisture resisting chipboard or ply. | |If you need to lose a WC branch within the floor adjust the sizes |accordingly.

But remember that there are limits to the height of a step you can have. Can't remember offhand if 8 inches is within the limit, but I think it must be as my domestic steps are 8 inches, but check when you have full drawings/details of the step. Also you must leave a certain height of ceiling.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

220mm used to be the maximum rise

No that no longer applies. But equally from a practical pov you do want to make sure that you can stand up in the bath and walk under light fittings.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Thank you very much your info. was very helpful.

Reply to
Lisa Bates

Thank you to, will bear all of your points in mind.

Wish me Luck!

Reply to
Lisa Bates

? just shove some new joists across the old and get flooring ?

You DO understand about plumbing 'falls' and so on don't you..relocating a toilet is NON trivial to say the least.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes, I do, thank you for your valuable coment!

Reply to
Lisa Bates