Trunking (coiled)

Hello All

Has anyone here used this stuff:

does B&Q stock it, or the non-coiled 3m length stuff (16x16mm,

16x25mm)?

Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

Hi Used the coiled stuff once or twice ok IF the room temp is right ,too cold and it is a pain to stop coiling back up. Far easier to use the standard stuff (if you can get it in the car) as for your second question yes they do (or at least my local branch does) along with most electrical wholesalers. HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

I have used a quantity of the similar product from Screwfix. Like other self adhesive trunking it needs nailing/screwing at intervals, depending on the surface it is attached to. As it is initially fixed flat on the surface nailing is an option. For long runs it is easier to fix than

2/3M lengths of standard trunking. The one caveat is that the profile of the trunking/cap join does not always fit the corner pieces sold for conventional trunking.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

> And/or does B&Q stock it, or the non-coiled 3m length stuff (16x16mm, > 16x25mm)?

If you're buying the normal 3m length stuff try a local electrical factors over B&Q. B&Q wanted 3x or 4x as much per length as my local factor.

Reply to
shaun

once and never again. In the end I ripped it all off and used conventional trunking.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Reply to
EricP

Oh, a rider on this would be that I would use it for trunking I wanted to bury inside a wall or floor when later access for new cables might be required. This is purely because a long reel of semi floppy stuff is more convenient to handle than rigid stuff. Just a personal opinion.

Reply to
EricP

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:02:56 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar" wrote this:-

>Only once and never again. In the end I ripped it all off and used

Your posting would be more interesting if you stated why. Ditto for the other poster who has made a similar assertion.

Then others could consider the advantages and disadvantages.

Reply to
David Hansen

It's simple enough.

- The double sided sticky tape is fairly poor

- The trunking has a tendency to curl

These two result in a likelihood of the trunking pinging away from the wall. That can be handled by using screws. However, if one is going to do that, it's better to use the conventional stuff.

- It is dimensionally different to fittings for equivalent standard trunking.

Is the word "s**te" part of the Edinburgh green vocabulary? It is organic after all.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:50:46 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

It is available with and without sticky tape. Personally I would not bother with the sticky tape variety but fasten it to the wall with nails or screws. Before the sides are clipped up nails are a doddle, as another poster has indicated.

Not after the sides have been clipped up.

However, the lid can be a problem in some batches where the grips are not strong enough.

Not a great problem. There are suitable corners and the like available.

Reply to
David Hansen

Oh err.... As the bishop said to the actress!

Reply to
SantaUK

ROFL!!

Reply to
EricP

If you are going to do that, then it is better to use the already moulded stuff in the first place

Don't you believe it. It then twists instead.

Especially after the trunking itself has warped and twisted

Rather stupid when it would have been perfectly simple to have made it to the standard size.

Reply to
Andy Hall

>>>Only once and never again. In the end I ripped it all off and used

It is difficult to use - constantly wanting to return to its flattened rolled up form - and looks crap.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:55:32 +0100, Andy Hall mused:

There is usually a very slight difference between most makes of trunking and manufactured bend covers. I have a large box with 4 or 5 different manufacturers fittings in and some will fit on trunking of a different make, some won't.

Reply to
Lurch

Even more useless than I thought, although perhaps not since the manufacturer can then obtain a product lock in.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:55:32 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Nailing the already moulded stuff is rather more difficult. Note carefully that I didn't say impossible, just rather more difficult.

Not in my experience.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:24:34 +0100 someone who may be "nightjar" wrote this:-

See my other postings about this.

How does the finished product look different to any other sort of mini-trunking?

Reply to
David Hansen

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 05:24:52 +0100, Andy Hall mused:

Yeah, although I only use 2 brands and buy in bulk, nothing to do with bend covers either.

Reply to
Lurch

It must be colder in your part of the country.

Reply to
Andy Hall