Trunking for cat5e

I have to cover about 2-3m of cabling going into a wall mounted rack. There are about 18 cat5e cables. I'm looking at just some basic trunking, and from what I can see, mini trunking, is the most common. However, I cannot work out the correct dimensions. I often see them described as: 10mm x 8mm x 3m, 18mm x 9mm x 3m, 16mm x 16mm x 3m, 25mm x 16mm x 3m, 40mm x 16mm x 3m,

40mm x 25mm x 3m. Maxi trunking is larger, but less common.

Which is the width and which is the depth? I've seen some trunking (slotted edge, which can bend) which is very deep but very thin - that's not what I'm after. I'd like a nice wide bit of trunking. If necessary, I'd use 2 bits next to each other if I can't fit all cables in it.

Any idea of the size trunking I would need to put in about 18 cables? Any where online that would do these sizes, and can delivery next day (I need to do it on Satuday). So far B&Q don't have maxi trunking, Screwfix don't either, BES have the sizes above (mini) but no maxi, TLC-Direct do maxi, but don't appear to have any of the corners (I need one or two corners). Anywhere else to try?

Also, can anyone explain how the corners etc works in trunking? Do they just go over the cover, or are they mounted to the wall? If they go over the cover, how do they stay there?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I had exactly the same problem and used two lengths of 40mmx25mm mini trunking side by side to feed into my comms cab.

The stuff I used was the Min 4 Trunking from TLC, it's 40mm wide and

25mm deep.
you look on this page:
the bottom is all the angle peices, flat connectors, corner connectors, T peices you might want.

Hope this helps.

Seri

Reply to
Seri

Aboutr 2x2 I'd say, or 2x1.

Any

Loxcal elecrical wholesalers do this sort of stuff - try newey an eyres.

local branches - give them a call.

So far B&Q don't have maxi trunking, Screwfix don't

You usually get a base and a cover, both of which go over the straight bits.

I usually srew em down - the back part anyway.

Marshall Tufflex is a name that springs to mind.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Might be worth phoning some local electrical wholesalers and see if they have it - if they do and they have it in stock you could arrange to pick it up on Saturday and would then be sure that you would have it in time. You will probably find that the people in those kind of places are very helpful - they usually are.

Reply to
Ric

Width is first i.e. 25 by 16 = 25mm wide by 16mm deep

18 Cat 5E cables have a cross sectional area of approx 400mm. There are rules about space between cables but I cannot remember them and if it is a 'home project' I doubt it'll matter. The smallest (reasonable sized) tunking I know of for this would be 38 x 16. Try City Electrical Factors
They have a 'Find your nearest CEF' button, I would be suprised if there isn't at least one within close driving distance from you. They sell lots of different trunking but the one I suggest is CMT3, best way is if you have some spare bits of cable take 18 short bits with you and try it! They are open all day and Saturday mornings

The corners clip on and are held there by little bumps on the inside edge of the corner piece etc. that fit into a groove on the outside of the trunking.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Trunking is cut so that the inner parts of the corner meet. The corners are clipped onto the trunking or for an external corner onto the cover. The cover will have to be short of the end of the trunking - see the corners for how much. It may be helpful to use short (15mm or so) pieces of cover every 18 inches to hold the cable in the trunking while feeding it in before finally putting the cover on.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Thanks for that - such a simple question but I just couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I should be able to get 40x25 or even 40x40 from TLC-Direct who have an outlet within a mile or so of me. I just wasn't sure whether I would need something wider than that.

I may go with self-adhesive trunking, which BES do up to 40x25.

How would you fix it to the wall if I didn't go with self adhesive? Its going to be done in a newly built church building in a cupboard room with photocopier etc. I'd rather use something that isn't likely to cause damage apart from where it is attached and is also easy (this is an additional task in an increasing list of things to get done in that room on Saturday - many more than my original brief...;)

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

The only way to attach trunking (if not self adhesive) is with traditional plugs and screws every 12 - 18", with a larger trunking like 40 x 40 etc. I would be tempted to use washers behind the screw heads to stop them pulling through the base of the trunking. I have seen it put up with 'No Nails' and the like, but not for long! If you do go self adhesive (by far the quickest and least messy) bear in mind it will damage the surface when, and if, it is removed at a later date. Another thing to bear in mind with self adhesive is, if there is a longish run (you decide) horizontally, then larger trunking can eventually start to come adrift from the wall so you may need to plug & screw aswell.

HTH

John

Reply to
John