Triton shower: service or replace

I have an old Triton shower (Brazilia, branded version of similar to T100e) which is 15 years old. It's done sterling service (gets used once a day on average); the heater was replaced about 7 years ago after a cut-out (& engineer call-out). It's recently started to kettle significantly, and there was a cut-out about a month ago (I seem to recall there was a hiccup in the water supply which probably caused the over-heat cut-out) but it reset itself after I ran cold through it for a few mins.

I'm think it's time to look at replacing it before it fails completely. I don't really want to have to hack the wall & tiling around. I've looked at the closest Triton replacement, with a view to getting the water and cable inlets matched as closely as possible, and getting the unit (box) about the same size (as there's limited space for an increase in unit size as the unit is tucked in a corner). I'm not having much success as most the current units seem 100-200mms larger (height and width), and it's not clear whether the cable and water inlets would match, even if they were the correct sides (right/left).

Triton do have an easi-fit model which has flexibility in the water and cable inlets. However, they won't offer to do a replacement as they say the existing shower is too old for them to know what they'd be getting themselves into if they did undertake to do a replacement (sounds like they've learnt from experience).

I've thought to look at getting a third-party engineer/plumber in to do a service in case it's just the heater that needs replacing. There are a few companies around who seem to offer servicing for Triton showers. I'm in North Yorkshire/Lancashire, so most of the likely canditates for servicing are not close by! I have a good idea of what a new shower would cost, and then there'll be labour on top, so balancing that against the cost of servicing and possible a replacement heater and getting someone in from 40-50 miles away is a sum that has to be thought about!

What does the group think? Replace (with all the hassle on sizing, conections that might entail) or repair/service?

TIA Allan

Reply to
Allan

Sounds like you've had your money's worth out of it but if you really don't want the hassle of replacement/retiling then DIY de-scaling sounds like it would be worth doing.

Have a look at this.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Forget replacing the shower, just raise it up 8' & add 20 drain heat exchangers. At 99% efficiency your body heat will quickly make the water warm :)

I'd see how accessible the element is and descale it. An hour's messing might well have it all sorted out.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr