Tried several searches for 5G UK coverage

....but getting circular menus, I presume there is none outside London.

Reply to
jon_t

Methinks you doth presume too much:

Scroll down to "Areas with 5G coverage right now".

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Ok thanks, the UK coverage is very poor for all suppliers.

Reply to
phister

My phone was woring on 5G in Edinburgh last weekend

Reply to
charles

Mine works on 5G at home (Greater Manchester suburbs), but I only get 4G in the office (Birchwood).

Reply to
SteveW

Do you mena Whoring? :-)

Reply to
SH

All those buttons that click through to the coverage areas of the 4 physical networks take you to a awin1 site rather than through to the actual coverage map.

Awin1 is blocked for me as its adverting or offering you to win something.

Reply to
SH

Well I'm pretty sure parts of urban Wales have it. However there is 5g and

5g, in that there are now so many bands in use around the place, some might be more like enhanced 4g. I heard somebody on the radio the other day talking of 6g, and so one has to wonder if any of this is real, and not just pararell connections. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

What is Awin1?

Reply to
Murmansk

Yes, it's real. While some of the material is 90% hype (contains the words "ai" and "blockchain"), there is some of it that is technical and might make a difference.

"At the present 46% compound annual growth rate of the data carried through the cellular network, it will draw half of all worldwide available electricity in 7 more years and all of it in 9 years. Changes are needed, sooner rather than later, to avoid this unsustainable result."

"The spinning potential of radio waves was first reported by British physicist John Henry Poynting in 1909, but making use of it proved to be difficult."

"The Chinese team built a unique transmitter to generate a more focused vortex beam, making the waves spin in three different modes to carry more information, and developed a high-performance receiving device that could pick up and decode a huge amount of data in a split second."

And that makes it different than what was done before.

That does not mean the design is finished.

The reason for working on 6G, is the unsustainable nature of what we've created (like that hasn't happened before).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

These standards take about 10 years to initial deployment (2G deployed ~1990, 3G ~2000, 4G ~2010, 5G ~2020) so it's not surprising that work is starting on 6G. We're still at the point of deciding what we want it to do, so there is not a consensus yet on how it might work, let alone standardisation. But if expected deployment is ~2030, that will happen over the coming years.

Not so much unsustainable, but developed over the past decade. Meanwhile, customer expectations move on. To some degree they have to predict ahead of time what they will be at the time of deployment.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

its a referrer tracking website.

essentially website A has a button containing a "link" Offering to take you to webiste B.

Really what happens is that when you press that button, you get referred to Awin1 who then tracks your every move as it then redirects you to website B so it logs everything you do on Website V, plus it also allows Webiste A to bill website B for the referral.

The logs recording where you go on website B is then data that can be sold on.....

Stephen

Reply to
SH

if you go to that 5g coverage checker website and enter your postcode, you then get 4 buttons for EE, O2, Vodafone and 3.

AT this point they already have your postcode.

So when you click on the button:

instead of going to:

you get on 5gChecker's website from those 4 buttons:

?awinmid=31423&awinaffid=204909&clickref=AB+cov&ued=https%3A%2F%2Fcoverage.ee.co.uk%2Fcoverage%2Fee

?awinmid=10210&awinaffid=204909&clickref=ab&ued=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.three.co.uk%2FDiscover%2FNetwork%2FCoverage

Reply to
SH

FWIW that 5g.co.uk website isn't any industry site, it's just some bloke who bought 3g.co.uk, 4g.co.uk, etc a couple of decades ago. Hence he's filled it with tracking/affiliate links as a way of making money from people who land there thinking it's something official.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

They are ad collecting links, and sell you something later so goodness what will pop up is I turn off the ad blocker, but the O2 one simply takes you to :-

which just shows generic coverage, you can't filter on 5G...

The EE one returns "Not Found", but you will find it here:-

Its not good as it wants a device...

the Vodafone one is OK

as is the "Three" one

So as you say nothing that really shows 5G coverage for all networks.....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

That's "thou (or you) doest" or "he/she doth".

Reply to
Rob Morley

The first paper I quoted, notes an electrical consumption problem with time. As 5G deployment rolls out (femtocells or other lunacy), and transmitter efficiency is poor, the telecom system consumes all grid power. Sorta like Bitcoin :-) Now, to balance that, would deployment actually happen that way ? I cannot vouch for the skills of the planners to notice that.

Where I live, I would guess based on antenna dimensions, they just finished deploying 4G on my local tower, and that's about it. I'm in the city, so deployment should sorta follow whatever "promises" they made. There are no >6Ghz style antennas on my tower. Like most cities, there might be a couple tennis courts downtown with real live

5G on them and much higher data rates.

The problem in this instance, is honesty about what is actually installed in the city, and whether it really counts as "mostly 4G" or something else. You cannot count on the providers, because they're all in on the lie.

*******

"ACCESS TO NEW 5G SPECTRUM?

A total of 200 MHz of available spectrum was bid for in Ofcom's auction which was split across low frequency and mid frequency bands:

80 MHz of spectrum was auctioned in the 700 MHz low-frequency band The 700 MHz frequency airwaves are perfect to provide wide area coverage including connection in the countryside. 120 MHz of spectrum was auctioned in the 3.6-3.8 GHz Mid-Frequency band These are the critical areas of the spectrum and form the primary band for 5G. They are capable of boosting mobile data capacity with the ability to carry lots of data-hungry connections simultaneously.

Four UK operators bid for access to the spectrum.

EE Limited

£475,000,000 for 2x10 MHz & 1x20MHz in the 700 MHz band and for 40 MHz in the 3.6-3.8 GHz band

Three (Hutchinson 3G UK)

£280,000,000 for 2x10 MHz in the 700 MHz band

o2 (Telefonica)

£448,000,000 for 2x10 MHz in the 700 MHz band and for 40 MHz in the 3.6-3.8 GHz band

Vodafone

£176,400,000 for 40 MHz in the 3.6-3.8 GHz band

Total revenue raised through the 5G spectrum Ofcom auction is £1,379,400,000. "

And the providers want to offer as little actual info as possible.

Paul

Reply to
Paul