Cedar shingle coverage

Hello, Just a couple of questions regarding sidewall shingles with white cedar extras. At HD, they sell them by the bundle.

  1. What is the typical exposure you guys use for the shingles ? i.e. 5.5 inches, etc
  2. At the typical exposure, how many bundles per square ?

I found this formula on the web. I am curious if this is correct. Add the butt ends of a bundle together (20+20 = 40 Divide that by '8'. (40/8=5) Multiply the result x the exposure you want to use (5 x 5.5" exposure =27.5 sq ft) of bundle coverage Approx 4 bundles per square.

Thanks.

Reply to
jack

Eerything worth knowing about shingles and their installation is on this site.

Reply to
Newshound

Yes, 4 bundles per 100 square feet. On a vertical surface, you can increase the exposure. Use stainless fasteners if possible. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Clarification: 4 bundles per square at an exposure of 5 inches to the weather. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom