deck stain coverage

When applying stain, should you pace yourself so that you achieve the coverage specified on the label, OR should you just let the wood tell you how much it wants, even that means putting down twice as much stain as the label specifies?

Reply to
Ether Jones

Well now - I do agree that HD is not the best first source to go to, but that's not to say that any and all who would be contacted through HD are bad. I got an excellent contractor by just trusting who would install some doors I wanted from my local hardware supply, I was new in town and the guy seemed reasonable. Turned out to be stellar, and now works word of mouth only. That was nearly 12 years ago; he just finished my kitchen, a job that went off without a hitch. He's done major work for two of my friends, too, with another lining him up.

This poster has a good impression of the HD contractor. So I'd advise this poster to get a couple more estimates, and pay attention to the contractor's apparent knowledge and how good the interaction is for the other two as well as how the prices compare - possibly the HD guy is the keeper, maybe not.

But to knee-jerk warn him away just for having come from HD is just dumb.

If I were him, I'd pay more attention to what knowledgable people here may say about the *windows*, and consider that in light of how much he wants to pay, how long he plans to be in the house, etc.

Banty

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski