Trailer lights.

I would inspect the wiring going to the boxes. If there are any thin wires, smaller than needed to supply current to an incandescent light bulb, then the boxes may connect to the Can-bus which will be more awkward. This is a source of suitable parts and info

Michael Chare

5 Series have used canbus for about 20 years. That is always going to be more tricky to add to than ordinary wiring. I'm not sure when the cheaper 3 Series got it.

My 97 5 Series had diversity aerials and an external power amp. And it didn't have the top of the range audio system. I'm not surprised Joe Bloggs could have problems fitting a different head unit. But it can be done.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks chaps. I'll be talking to brother this evening and will jaw it over.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) explained :

Mine has the diversity antennas for both the radio and TV antennas. Quite a complex and clever system, where the receiver decides which set of antennas provides the better reception at any instant.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes - first saw it on pro radio mics some 40 years ago.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

which set

Easy to do with FM, just monitor the HF noise and choose the receiver with the lowest noise.

Now the stuff that AC WiFi APs do is clever. With multiple antennas and presumably signal phase between them enabling the direction of maximum pick up/transmission to be steered to point at the clients,

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes. IIRC, radio mics used two receivers. My car said it selected the best aerial. Although having screen aerials, still rubbish.

Likely simpler in some ways with digital. Latency gives you some time to decide. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it does use canbus, it may do other things such as disable parking sensors (and reversing lights on the car itself?) while reverse gear is selected.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Often disable rear foglights and change the mode of electronic stability controls too.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker