TOT Are BT Strangulating some email providers?

Here's the scenario,

IPhone 4 using Wife built into BT Home Hub (Router). Web browsing, Youtube etc is all reasonable "speed", BtInternet emal (POP) comes down lightening fast (though I don't get much to that address) POP from connectfree.co.uk and imap from uk2.net are like watching very slow dying paint dry.

UK2 and Connectfree (at least one of which uses someone who knows thier stu ff on tech support) recon the problem isn't thier end, I haven't yet rung B T's "Technical Support" as I value my sanity.

Does anyone know if they are deliberately or otherwise slowing this stuff d own (doing extra virus checking maybe, or just routing it through slow serv ers, routers, etc, etc?

Reply to
cpvh

If I was investigating this, I would capture a packet trace, and look at the timings, to see who is waiting for who at the various stages of the transaction.

I doubt BT would shape POP3 access, but they will probably have much better connections to their own servers than those accessed through peering, much of which will be out of their control.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Isn't one of BT's big marketing slogans "we will never slow you down" OWTTE?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thank-goodness that's a BT router rather than a Virgin one, then, if it's where you keep your wife.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

What the f*ck does "strangulating" mean?

Reply to
Tim Streater

mean? -- "If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers wi thout feeling that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't ask questions on Usenet where the answers won't be carefull y tailored to avoid tripping your hair-trigger insecurities." - D M Procida , UCSM

According to:

"A strangulated obstruction is a surgical emergency. In patients with a co mplete small-bowel obstruction (SBO), the risk of strangulation is high...."

Basically, something is getting strangaled

In this case, my email! It has been tried on other WiFi, and it's much muc h better.

Reply to
cpvh

It would be strange if they were not.

BT is now a content provider: they will prioritise their content over anyone elses and they will prioritise 'web' which is real time over mail. which is not.

Its very easy. Look at the packet header. It its from BT front of the queue if its someone else, behind BT stuff , if its non real time back of the queue.

Saves buying bandwidth for the few customers that actually notice..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have BT too and my main mailbox is @pophost.123-reg.co.uk. If anything, it's my BT one (hardly used) which is sometimes slow.

Reply to