Email from BT

Got a slightly strange email from BT
"It doesn't look like you're getting the best from your wireless connection, so we'd like to help you make it better. "
Which was odd, as I've not really noticed any difference between those bits which are Wi-Fi connected and those which are cable.
So I used the BT test.
Laptop - which is my newest computer and Wi-Fi gave:-
34.5 Mbps download 7.9 upload
Desktop PC (cabled) gave:-
16.1 download 7.9 upload.
In both cases speed from exchange to BT hub, 39.8 Mbps. I have fibre to the end of the road, and overhead copper to the house.
So just what are they on about?
--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

On Wed, 27 May 2015 17:13:03 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

It's what marketing people call a speculative approach.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Whys that slower?.

Dunno but that doesn't seem all that fast, how far away is the cabinet?..
--
Tony Sayer

No idea. Wasn't done at the same time though, obviously. The desktop is fed from a hub which also feeds this computer and a smart TV. Neither was switched on during the test. Perhaps I should repeat it with the hub removed. But it seems ok in practice.

About a couple of hundred yards.
--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Try it right at the modem before it hits any of you internal LAN workings. We're on the VM 100 meg service and it is that at the modem but after a bit of CAT 5 and the network switch and a bit more wire thats down to 80 ..
Mind you thats fast enough for needs;)...

Should be running faster than that..
Thats if that -is- the supplying cabinet..
--
Tony Sayer

Some troll unconnected with BT? I was getting one every day at one point. Ignored them.
Probably the email equivalent of a blitz style marketing campaign where everyone gets the same details in the hope they can flog you another bit of kit. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Plowman (News)" < snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message

It's what I'd have expected, but no. They can't be attempting to sell me an upgrade as already have the best they offer. I don't think they offer to run fibre into a single house if it's not already available.
Nor were there any links to a sales pitch - merely to help pages.
It was them saying they'd checked the Wi-Fi speed and it was below par which intriqued.
--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

They lied.