Thunderbird 115

Sorry wrong terminology At the top of usenet articles/postings window there is a bar with "subject", "from" "date" etc. There is a range of things that can be displayed on or removed from this bar. If you place your mouse on the bar and right click a list appears. The "thread" option will put an icon on this bar. Clicking this icon will toggle between expanding all threads and collapsing all threads - the equivalent to the to pressing the \ or * keys but witha single click of the mouse.

Reply to
alan_m

Sorry again, that icon doesn't collapse threads - it reorders them,

Reply to
alan_m

It activates threads or just a list of posts, sorted.

Reply to
Carlos E. R.

There is also a very tiny icon on the far right of the message header bar that allows you to select the columns. Left-click. I have those "thread icons" as you say but I did not add the "thread" column as you did. They normally appear IMHO. Is this it?

The read arrow points to it.

Reply to
Big Al

That is Mozilla terms is called a twisty. The icon I'm talking about. As you click it, it twists from pointing to the right to pointing down. It expands and collapses threads. See also Carlos' reply about the thread icon.

Reply to
Big Al

Thanks, that is just what I wanted !

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Not here it wont. It removes all therdeas altohgether, and then when clickied again collpases all threads

- the equivalent to the to pressing the \ or *

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the clarification. I already have that icon at the far left. Problem is that it is just another way of either expanding all threads or collapsing all threads. It still doesn't provide a way to change the default behavior of opening each newsgroup with all thread expanded.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

+1
Reply to
Retirednoguilt

The name is older than that, I think I first encountered twisties in Lotus Notes forms.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed, clicking the "thread" column in the message list header does the same as toggling between View/SortBy/Threaded and View/SortBy/Unthreaded, and not (as others have clarified) the same as pressing * or \

Reply to
Andy Burns

Except in my setup it does *nothing*

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I doubt that all those who have posted to this thread will ever agree because of the grand takeaway from this futile exercise. Bottom line: if any of the TB developers read this newsgroup, and specifically this thread, they should work on clarifying and simplifying how each end user can configure TB so that each news group can be set to display a default threading scheme that suits the user's preferences and that is reliably "sticky" (that's what "default" is all about after all). End users shouldn't have to deal with editing .js files and/or go on a treasure hunt to find the correct setting(s) in the advanced settings list and then know what value may be needed to accomplish the desired change in behavior. Some of us don't know coding etc. We just want a safe, reliable, flexible, and easy to use program.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

[...]

Mine is abut 35G :-)

Reply to