Taymar blowtorch cartridge replace

Every 20yrs or so I need to do a bit of water pipe soldering - last week being such an occasion as a piece of pipe on the main pressure had a pin-hole leak.

Anyhow out comes the old Taymar LG870 and the RF89 Butane cylinder is empty (maybe I should have unscrewed the torch after last use).

Now I understand Taymar is defunct. I have a cylinder for a small camping gas burner but that is a Butane/Propane mix and looking for other cylinders on the net yield similar results - Butane/Propane mix.

So what can I use? Does the Butane/Propane mix make a difference? Can I use the smaller cylinder? I don't want to unnecessarily fork out ?20 when the torch last worked fine.

Reply to
AnthonyL

????

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have one too as my "backup" blowtorch, it's not been used since I bought a piezo one.

Certainly the EN417 cartridges from GoSystem/CampingGaz etc fit the taymar, I just fired it up and the blue inner flame burns quite ragged and blunt rather than sharp and pencil-like compared to the new torch, that could be due to the butane/propane mix, maybe it should have a different jet, or maybe could be compensated for by moving the head back or forward a little relative to the stem?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Peter Parry

Those (very cheap btw) seem to be for camping.

Is Butane/Propane a safety thing? As far as I can see my old Taymar is Butane only. What difference does it make having Butane/Propane for a blowtorch? I'll use my spare camping gas burner if there is not any reason not to.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I suppose for the little bit of pre-soldered water pipe joints that I need to use I might as well use my spare camping gas cannister if all I'm going to suffer is a slightly less efficient flame.

Reply to
AnthonyL

You can get the Gosystem canisters at B&Q for under a fiver if you are local to a store that stocks them. You can check online.

John

Reply to
JohnW

Are all the screw/valve fittings standard then?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Look for EN417 on the canister

Reply to
Andy Burns

Seems as if my Taymar RF89 predates that - though it does have the words EPIgas written as being compatible.

Reply to
AnthonyL

The vapour pressure of propane is higher, butane cylinders run out of "oomph" at low temperatures. I have always assumed that propane is preferred by plumbers and roofers because they may need to work outdoors in mid-winter, while campers are tucked up safely at home. That said, butane is still the standard for boats and caravans.

You can get alternative jets for stoves if you change gas. As others have said, you might well get away with mix in the Taymar.

Reply to
newshound

Well it's occasional indoor use as a blowtorch (not stove) but as the torch fits the spare primer stove cannister I have I'll see what flame I get out of that. As I said I've only got a one section of water pipe to replace so just 2 presoldered joints.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Truth is it's cheaper to modernise and get a new torch & cylinders than to buy the old style connection cylinders. Chinese torches on ebay are £3 or £4 and perfectly good. 4 cartridges £6 delivered, some unhear d of brand but again perfectly good.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Its the mix of air to gas I am lead to believe as even gas cookers need different regulators to allow several different gasses to be used. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

replying to AnthonyL, Harley wrote: I had the same problem. The propane/butane refill from B&Q @ £5.49 is the same thread and works well. The small amount of propane will allow operation down to

-15degC.

Reply to
Harley

Minus 15 degrees? With a blow torch? Well, I never!

Reply to
GB

He is right, think about it

Reply to
FMurtz

Cold fusion perhaps? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's a suck torch.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Oh, he's saying the fuel won't freeze! Yes, I missed that completely. But I'm not beating myself up over it, given the lack of context.

Reply to
GB